1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot.ini Problems - Dual Booting 2 Sata Drives - XP - Vista

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by phaze112, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phaze112

phaze112 Thread Starter

So I'm using my a8n-sli premium motherboard and have been just using 1 sata hard drive using Windows XP for about a year. I bought a second sata hard drive last week and installed Vista on it.

I just can't figure out the correct boot.ini for this to work, here is what I have currently:

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista"

I get an missing NTLD message, when I try to boot from Vista, but the XP one works with that configuration.

I can boot off the Vista one fine if I set it in the bios boot order to come up before the XP hard drive, so the drive and the OS are fine.

Thanks all, I have done alot of research and have no been able to figure this out.

2. akolagtech

akolagtech

The problem is that you have windows xp and vista on a two different hard drives and your BIOS only recognize one bootable hard drive at a time, which is the one you set as your primary hard drive. if you want both OS to be bootable, you need to have vista install on your primary hard drive.

3. phaze112

phaze112 Thread Starter

OK I think I hear what you are saying. I have in the past had this motherboard and for that matter bios version recognize 2 hard drives and boot off both in the boot.ini file. But back then I think I was using 2 IDE drives.

I will try your advice and set the Vista hard drive as primary and then configure that boot.ini file. Not sure why it would make a difference at all though...

thank you for the reply.

4. phaze112

phaze112 Thread Starter

Well I'm really confused how to set this up with Vista as there is no boot.ini file, but I will look into this.

But my bios does support more than 1 bootable hard drive, hence it has a "boot order" setting for all hard drives in it.

So the reason it can't see Vista on the 2nd sata drive is the boot.ini is not written correctly.

Anyone have any ideas for this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice