1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot.ini

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ~Candy~, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator Thread Starter

Am trying to install (well tried twice actually, 2 different partitions) XP dual boot with 98SE......

Now when computer starts, even though I've reformatted one partition with the bad XP install, I still get two XP choices, and my 98 choice for my boot menu........

Probably easy, but it's been a long day, and I'm too tired to search...........how do I get rid of the 'wrong' XP boot option? :confused:

Thanks! ;)

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Msconfig>Boot. ini tab

Click the "Check All Boot Paths" button.

It will let you know that the entry is invalid and allow you to remove it.

3. ~Candy~

Thanks for the reply Mo.....I'm assuming that is from within XP......(I'm still having hardware issues too :mad: )

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Yes. There are other ways too. It's just the easiest. Hardware issues? Sorry to hear it.

5. Chuffy

Chuffy

I had exactly the same bizarre behaviour after formatting/ reinstalling W2k on a dual boot machine.

I cured it by going into the boot .ini file and (after a few attemts to find which was the 'real' W2k) I deleted the erroneous reference in there.

I now let boot magic deal with it all as my MBR is shot to [email protected]

Cheers.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Bootpart is your friend, makes playing with the boot records easy. :)

7. ~Candy~

Thanks for the replies....I got it taken care of, only one XP choice now, used Mo's suggestion.....but now have bigger problems....computer was off this morning.....won't come back on........grrrrrr........no lights, just cpu, power supply and interior case fans.........

I remember seeing some warning on the second or third bootup with XP about hardware issues and shutting down to avoid damage? What's with that? I've never seen an operating system create serious hardware problems.....other than not working.....

I'm beginning to hate XP........ :mad: :mad:

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Can you get into the BIOS? Maybe reset it to defaults? Have you tried another hard drive? Changed RAM? etc. You are more Hardware than I am. Without the error messages it's hard to say what damage was done.

And you can't even boot to 98 now or use the computer at all?

Before you installed XP, did you run the Upgrade Advisor on the XP CD from the Win98 installation ?

9. cj_white

cj_white

try clearing the cmos via the jumper

10. ~Candy~

Nope, can't access bios.........will try to clear with jumper (thanks for that reminder cj) but I'm beginning to suspect a power supply failure......

Pulled ram, changed ram etc......error messages? what error messages :D :D Lol, I didn't like what I saw, so I allowed the computer to reboot....all was happy when I went to bed last night :mad:
    Nope 98 won't boot either, nothing, no beeps, nada.........
    Update Advisor....hehe, what's that? :p I pulled the one ISA card to avoid conflicts, unplugged my USB hub, plugged in my trusty PS/2 mouse, and everything else is onboard.........

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

12. JohnWill

FWIW, I've found that XP installs on old and moldy hardware much easier than W2K, though I prefer W2K for the speed. Microsoft did do a lot of work to make XP run on almost anything, I put it on an old AT style MB with one of the early AMD 400mhz processors, ISA sound board and modem, and an ancient video board. Everything was recognized by XP, and I didn't even have to load any drivers! I was pretty surprised, because that hasn't been my experience with old hardware and W2K. :)

13. ~Candy~

Yeah, rub it in :mad:

Still waiting for the power supply to be tested...........fingers crossed that is all that is wrong :mad:

Good thing I have back up machines :p

14. ~Candy~

Well, an update.....after waiting too long for the power supply to be tested, I ripped everything out of the case and hooked up the minimums outside the case.......still nada.....

put another power supply in......still nada....shorted the cmos jumper pin and finally got a boot with new power supply....retested old power supply....worked as well.....loaded into Windows 98 without a problem.

Tried to load XP and that's where the fun began.....a message about needing to check the drives....it checked, checked, and checked some more, replaced a bunch of files......finally got to the XP screen (which I'm beginning to really hate by the way) for it to cry about being in a safe/protected mode startup, or whatever they call it in XP.....do you want to save it or revert back.....so I chose to save it......restart....ok, fine.....now I have the same stupid boot menu with the one wrong XP choice that Mo helped me get rid of......went back to get rid of it the same way, and pretty much the same stuff over again.....except this time it didn't take as long to scan the hard drive replacing whatever files were supposedly messed up......

ARGH.....should I just reformat and start over...........help, I'm almost in tears, and that takes a lot............ :mad:

15. JohnWill

The real question is, "Are we having fun yet?"! :D:D:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice