1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot interrupted

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hhannam, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I have a fairly new Acer netbook that has suddenly started to have a booting issue. Before the problem started, the normal sequence was that just after the power button was pushed, the cursor would show up at the upper left corner of a blank screen, and two or three seconds later the words, "Windows starting" would come onto the center of the screen and the booting would continue as normal.

Recently, however, the booting process started freezing at the point with the cursor in upper left of the black screen. I learned that if I hit control/Alt/delete the screen would go black for a couple seconds, and then the booting process would resume as normal with the "starting windows" coming on again.

I should also mention that using control/Alt/Del doesn't always work the first time either. Sometimes I have to do it two, three or four times to get the booting going again.

Does anyone know what may have caused this problem, and more importantly, how to correct it?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1770 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6290 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 291830 MB, Free - 238344 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, JE10-BZ
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. pip22

pip22

Whenever I'm confronted with a Windows or boot-up problem that has no other obvious cause, I test the hard drive first before looking elsewhere. The most reliable test is the drive maker's own testing or diagnostics software. The links are here:
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

I daresay the hard drive is fine but it's best to be sure of that first.

3. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    To pip22

Thanks for your suggestion, but when I downloaded and tried to install the alternate program I couldn't get it to run because I would get a message that there was a missing dll file. Not sure why that's happening. I hope tomorrow to try the primary suggestion and will post back if I have any success.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice