1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot issues (and more!)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by walfisch, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walfisch

walfisch Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I've had and interesting little battle going on since about 5 this morning with no luck, so I'm turning to any advice you can give me.

I have windows XP Home edition (SP2) installed on my PC, and this morning the computer rebooted and would then not get past the windows loading screen. However, this was not the only issue. If I disconnected the ethernet cable or turned off the modem, the entire PC would reboot and would not even go to the POST test. Monitor stays idle and everything. So right now I have to keep the modem on and connected in order to even boot into safe mode. Can't boot into networked safe mode, because it then behaves the same way as if I was booting into windows itself. Safe mode appears to hang at SPTD for driver loading, so I can't get into safe mode to scan for infected files or anything. I have a Windows install cd, but it would not give me the option to repair windows. I instead installed windows on a different partition, and the PC actually boots up. However, the network card is unrecognized, along with video card and sound card, so accessing the internet is unavailable (I'm currently working off my linux distro laptop). I tried using a USB device to reinstall AVG onto this new partition, but the PC would not recognize it as an external device, so I am unable to access it. If you can give me any advice as to what's going on, I'd appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice