Boot Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CaptainB

If this is not the appropriate forum, please let me know. I have a dell computer using XP that I have set up for my son. When new, it came with XP. Whenever the computer starts, the results vary. Sometimes the error message refers to <Windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe or various system32 drivers are missing. We continue to reboot until it finally loads without errors. Here's the problem. I can fix it with the Dell, XP Reinstallation CD. Then I have to visit Windows Updates and download SP2, then all of the updates, then IE 7.0... once this is done, the error messges return again. This complete process can take 4+ hours and the end result is that I end up with corrupted files. Perhaps it is time to dispose of this computer. Any thoughts?

Have you upgraded the BIOS for your motherboard?
Or Downloaded new Drivers for the graphics card?
If you know what motherboard and graphics card you have message it to me and I'll Give you the links.

CaptainB

I guess I'm not sure how to identify my BIOS. According to device manager, my processor is an ACPI Uniprocessor. My graphics card is an Intel Extreme. I've used the device manager to update the drivers, however, I've not gone to the manufacturer's website. A Microsoft article directed me to use the Dell Driver Update app, after which it required a "restart" to finish. It took me 2 hours to restart. I'm sure that this is a very easy fix, but it's frustrating trying to get this done.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online