boot locked at BIOS flash page, please help me!?!?!?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joyof60

The computer was running fine, better than in quite a while. Today I increased my fan speed in my case through the ASUS NOS program and increased the clock speed by 3%, which I didn't think was very much considering the capabilities. I did this as it was the only way the program would allow me to increase the fan speed (or so I think), anyway , this required a reboot ( again I thought 'no big deal') now the boot process freezes at the ASUS BIOS flash page, the page that flashes to allow you to start the bios setup or view the post message. 'delete' dosn't show the post message and 'tab' dosn't go to setup. It just sits there. I can't seem to even get to a safe mode. Can someone please help??

System OS - Windows XP Home SP3
Mother Board - ASUS M2R32-MVP
Main Board Version Rev 1.xx
Main Board BIOS American Megatrends Inc. BIOS Date: 07/13/07 17:56:16 Ver: 08.00.12 NEC - 7000713 20070713
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4670 X2 (Crossifre config)
RAM - 8 GB
HDD-2- Seagate Barricuda 500 GB
HDD-3- Seagate Barricuda 1TB
HDD-1- WD 300 GB
Optical Drive 1- ASUS DRW-2014L1T
Optical 2- Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2

Re_Gret

Banned
Try taking out your bios battery for a few minutes, plugging out your pc obviously. then put your battery back in and dont screw with it again.

joyof60

You mean the little round lith. battery on the mother board? Could it be dead and need replacing? (2 years old max. since I got it, no telling how long it sat on the shelf) I really have never done anything with the bios other than using the ASUS program that came with the motherboard. Pulling the battery and putting back in will reset the defaults? (a lot of questions..sorry)

joyof60

Sorry it took awhile, had to pull the cabinet out to get it all out, all done, still hanging at the ASUS bios flash screen. Will not allow me into setup, and although the keyboard lights flashes during boot (ie. num lock, caps lock etc.) the keyboard is non operational at the flash screen, as in the the num lock lights do not come on etc. as well as no noticable key functions. It is a USB powered device, maybe I should try a serial device? any more help?? please??

joyof60

Pulled it again and removed the battery and moved the jumper per ASUS manuel to reset the memory. Moved the jumper back per instructions and repaced the battery. Plugged back in and I'm still hanging at the ASUS bios flash screen. Thanks for your help so far.

joyof60

Anybody with any other ideas? Do I start over? should I rebuild with new MoBo? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Try reformatting OS and if it wont boot to CD with OS, try the battery and default jumper setting again. I have and old intel MB I had to replace bios battery reset jumper and reformat hard drive. Try cleaning fan well and drop of oil on fan motor.

Good Luck Lumps

joyof60

Thanks Lumps, I'll try it again, (I do actually try to keep it clean and vacumed well) and I'll try the touch of oil on the fans. I've tried a coupla recovery disks but not the OS disk. I'll try that too. Thanks a bunch!!

joyof60

Sounds great! Thanks Pro! Is it as easy as a stick of ram or is there a little soldering involved? Is there a website with instructions??

joyof60

Ok, sorry ,I see they have instructions. Thanks a bunch pro, I give it a go.

joyof60

Ok, I have not changed the BIOS chip but.. I did ..power off, hard power down, (after power cord unplugged depressed power down again untill board light blips and goes out, per manuel), Removed the battery, moved clrcmos jumper for a coupla hours, replaced jumper, replaced the battery (checked voltage, number, polarity) and powered back up. I have done this four times so far now and I don't even get a post beep or flash screen. Lights are on, fans are running but noone seems to be home. Have pulled and reset all cards and cables. Is my board fried?? The green board light comes on but no post beep. The optical drive light comes on and the goes out like always but thats about it. I screwed it up didn't I?? Any suggestions other than doorstop? Any suggestions on a new board??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online