1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Lockup Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcpro17, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcpro17

pcpro17 Thread Starter

Hello. I am using Windows XP-64 SP2 on custom-built PC. From time to time (maybe every 3rd or 4th boot on average) it will lockup, after the desktop loads. CTL+ALT+DEL becomes totally non-responsive when this event happens. I've disabled just about everything from auto-starting using Startup Control Panel to no avail.

When it locks up, the mouse will be an hour glass when I hover it over the taskbar. I can multi-select icons on the desktop, but that will cause it to go to the next phase of the lockup:

The mouse sprite freezes and responds only to motion. If I just wait, without selecting anything, the mouse sprite will eventually freeze as well. After a while, it even stops responding to motion. It almost seems like there is buffer overrun somewhere, or maybe a recursive or reiterative loop in some process that is not allowing resources to be freed, but not knowing how this thing (i.e. Windows) works under the hood, it's impossible to tell.

If I just let the computer alone when it boots and come back a while (5-10 minutes) later, that seems to increase the chances that it will lock up. If I stand next to the computer and get a program launched within a few seconds of the desktop loading, this seems to reduce the chances that it will lock up. If the computer gets past the first few minutes, after loading the desktop, without locking up it very rarely locks up at all. In these rare instances, it may be due to an unrelated issue, as I've only seen these rare lockups when running certain software (i.e. an old game written for Win2K).

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I've been using PCs for next to 20 years and consider myself and advanced user. I can usually solve issues on my own, but this one has really got me stumped. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition SP2
    • Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 Mainboard
    • AMD 64bit X2 5600+ Brisbane Processor 2.81 GHz
    • 4GB 800Mhz Dual Channel DDR2 (Transcend) RAM
    • Three 3.0 SATA II 120GB RAID 5 Hitachi HDS721616PLA380
    • nVidia ECS N8600GT GeForce 128 bit 512 MB GDDR3
    • PCI SoundBlaster Audigy 24-bit audio PCI
    Thanks.

2. pcpro17

pcpro17 Thread Starter

If anyone has any thoughts on this at all, I would really appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

3. speed_hog

speed_hog

pcpro17, Are there any minidump logs we can look at?
    What errors & warnings are you getting in event viewer?
    Are you using the original drivers from the motherboard manufacturer or some updated ones from microsoft?

4. pcpro17

pcpro17 Thread Starter

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, the OEM drivers are being used. What do you mean by the event viewer? I am unfamiliar with this. Thanks.

5. speed_hog

speed_hog

How to post a minidump log

I barrowed this great tutorial from;
    Rollin' Rog
    Moderator with 42,872 posts
    I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Windows driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

Event Viewer Tutorial

Please go to Start - Run - type in eventvwr.msc to open the event viewer
    Or;
    Right click on my computer and choose Manage.
    Computer Management window should open. “Maximize it”
    Left side click on the plus sign next to Event Viewer and it should expand.
    Click on Application first.
    Click on System second.
    and in the right side it may have;
    (yellow) = warnings
    (red) = errors
    Types of events.
    Double click on any one of them and a smaller window will open called Event Properties.
    Click on the right hand side 3rd button down that looks like to tiny pieces of paper with the corners folded over and that will copy the information to the clipboard;
    Then open NOTEPAD and hit Ctrl V (paste) and there is the information about the error!
    ***Save the file if needed and post on the forum.

6. pcpro17

pcpro17 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help speed! My files are attached. :)

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/750856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice