Solved Boot loop after factory reset - Function Keys not working!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cammyb

I have an old packard bell laptop that I recently just factory reset because I was recieving it from a friend. It reset fine, no problems, but when it tried to boot up, it got caught in the boot loop that many other win10 users have been experiencing. It takes me through the setup page you go through on new laptops, and then when it would normally load the desktop it just goes back to the start of the cycle.

Anticipating this, I created a restore drive in a USB flash drive, but am unable to run from it since I forgot to bear in mind that the function keys (along with a few other keys on the keyboard) do not work, so I can't get into the BIOS menu or the manual boot menu.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If that is indeed an old packard bell laptop, it would be impossible to "factory reset" it to Windows 10 because it would have come with an older operating system.

What is the model name and model number of that laptop?
What is the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cammyb

Sorry, I forgot to specify:

I used the system reset function which is available on devices running windows 10. I chose to remove all files and clicked the "Just remove my files" option. I don't have the certificate of authenticity sticker (although if my memory serves me correctly it was originally running windows 7 before the friend installed windows 10 on the device) but the model name and number are as follows:

Packard Bell EasyNote TM99-GN-030UK
Model Number: NEW90

(Apologies if I'm not very helpful, I'm kind of new to laptops/computers, as I geneally just use a tablet/smartphone of sorts)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I don't have the certificate of authenticity sticker (although if my memory serves me correctly it was originally running windows 7 before the friend installed windows 10 on the device) but the model name and number are as follows:
Packard Bell EasyNote TM99-GN-030UK
Model Number: NEW90
From what I can determine, that model laptop was introduced in the U.K. in late 2010 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
I'm guessing it was later upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
I created a restore drive in a USB flash drive, but am unable to run from it since I forgot to bear in mind that the function keys (along with a few other keys on the keyboard) do not work, so I can't get into the BIOS menu or the manual boot menu.
Have you tried connecting and using an external USB keyboard with that laptop?

Just in case you need it, HERE is the Packard Bell support site in the U.K..

Cammyb

From what I can determine, that model laptop was introduced in the U.K. in late 2010 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
I'm guessing it was later upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Have you tried connecting and using an external USB keyboard with that laptop?

Just in case you need it, HERE is the Packard Bell support site in the U.K..

Thanks for the advice! Have not yet tried a usb keyboard, main reason being that I don't even own one, but I'm wondering if a USB keyboard would be a viable option seeing as I can't get into the computer for it to install new hardware. Basically I'm concerned that it won't work at the point the device is stuck at. As well as this, it may be worth mentioning that I have since attempted to restore windows via a system restore disk (created at the same time as the aforementioned restore drive) hoping it would possibly run by default, but this attempt was seemingly pointless.

Tl;dr:
  • Would a usb keyboard work at such a stage in operation, seeing as it would probably not be able to install the necessary hardware?
  • System restore disk doesn't work either.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Packard Bell computers haven't been sold in the U.S.A. in several years because of poor quality and numerous complaints.
Unless that laptop has been abused, that may be why its keyboard has that issue.
It's probably not cost-effective to repair it, so it may be time to retire it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Cammyb

Packard Bell computers haven't been sold in the U.S.A. in several years because of poor quality and numerous complaints.
Unless that laptop has been abused, that may be why its keyboard has that issue.
It's probably not cost-effective to repair it, so it may be time to retire it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Probably a better idea, but being the stubborn thing I am, I'll try your suggestion of a USB keyboard and if that doesn't work, take it apart and see what I can do with the pieces.

Thanks for the help, and apologies for my slow replies!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online