1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot loop - NO Safe Mode.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KaIIen, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I am helping family with their PC. It's a Compaq running XP (Case has a Home Edition sticker, but prompts indicate it's Pro. Either way, it's the OEM)

Problem is, they installed Norton 360 and started to get a Win32 error (they didn't write it down so no clue). Then when they tried to reboot, they get the lovely "We apologize for the inconvenience" screen that offers Safe mode options and Last known good configuration.

Regardless of which option I choose, atfer about 45 seconds to a minute the PC reboots back to the same screen. What's interesting, is if I choose boot normally, it almost loads XP. The XP splash screen (with the blure bar the moves from left to right) appears for a few seconds, then reboots again. If I choose safe mode, it starts to load (showing the list of what's loading) and only shows maybe 15 - 20 and then freezes. After a short while it reboots.

I have tried also manually loading the Safe Mode options screen (F8) and get the same results when I attempt to boot those options (Google results indicated that this in many cases made a difference).

So, here's the problem. They have no XP disks, and doing a reinstall is not really an option. I have a Home and a Pro CD, but as I mentioned above there is a question of what version is installed. I can't do a repair install if it's Pro because of the CD key(even then, not sure if I can repair install OEM version with retail CD)....

So, what are my options at this point to get it booting? I mean, it's seriously trying, just not making it.
    Thanks!!

2. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I can access the recovery partition using my Ubuntu LiveCD. Using the LiveCD is there anyway I can find the windows key and can I copy this partition to create a backup disk?

3. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

OK, I seriously need some help here. I found some info that if I copied the folder C:\Windows\System32\Config to a USB thumb drive and on a working system I could run Magic Jellybean keyfinder to get the windows key. BUT...when I look at this location, it is completely empty. I checked my own system (dual boot Ubuntu/XP) and I have data there. So, am I correct in assuming that the files here somehow got deleted? (No, they're not hidden).

Options?

Thanks!!

4. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I was able to retrieve the registry hive from the System Volume Information folder and discovered that XP MCE retail edition has been installed, so it is NOT the OEM OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice