Boot loop pre-BIOS, boots after some time- leads to error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sriram301296

I'm pretty sure some one here would be able to answer this. My PC is a pretty old(~7 yrs) one running a MSI MB with intel Core2 Duo Processor. Two RAM Sticks(2+1) of 3GB. No external GPU. For a month or so, it had some problems, like it would restart just after it shut down and the like. I thought it was some problem due to dust in Fan and did not pay much attention to it. Now, when I power it on, it would give 2beeps and restart, 2beep, restart and on and on. Upon opening the case, I noticed that the fan stopped for an instant as well.

After leaving it to restart for a few minutes, it finally posts and goes to bios, but the bios screen looks pretty much like the monitor was faulty(with blue lines, visible refresh lines, random dots..). After going past the BIOS, random 0(zero)'s start appearing on the screen with a funny error message that reads some thing like:

ebbob *enknog
endebing beecee mode..
beecee filecisdem

Reading the error, I could deduce some thing related to filesystem, but can't exactly get what it means.

Here's what I've tried so far:
1. Unseat both RAM sticks, boot with one of them(even with none :p)
2. Unseat the heatsink, then the processor and replace them
3. Disconnect the monitor, hard disks, cd drives, external peripherals and then try booting
4. Reset CMOS by both removing and reinserting battery, Jumper reset.

I'm seriously hoping someone will help.

Thanks in advance,
Sriram R.

sriram301296

What BIOS do you have?
Sorry, It was American Megatrends Inc., could not get that it was the same as AMI. The page said something about a 'Parity circuit failure'. What's that supposed to mean? Also, as suggested on some forums, could replacing the CMOS cell work?

sriram301296

Update - Took out the mobo, kept on a non-conducting newspaper, connected only PSU, system speaker, fan (both to see error), monitor, and all possible combinations of RAM. Now gives 3beeps - the site said Base 64K RAM failure.

keltic1der

Donald
In my experience, this means either the RAM is bad or the Motherboard is bad.
Depending on how many RAM sticks you have
1. Try removing all but one and see if you still get the beeps (remember, leave one stick in either the number 1 or 2 slot on the motherboard)
2. Try replacing the RAM

If you move them around and try replacing them, it could be a sign of a bad mother board. See if you have another computer you can test the RAM on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online