1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot loop, URL redirects and I've tried for a week to do fix this on my own - fail.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Mybellegirls, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mybellegirls

Mybellegirls Thread Starter

Hello - I'm reaching out for your help. I've read a plethora of info, many similar issues out there, though nothing exact which is why I'm requesting attention and assistance. Thank you in advance :)

Problem: Before I did some cleanup of my own, HJT wasn't accessing the hosts file. Fixed that. Ran checkdisk - problems and reverted to a restore point. Yet there are still URL redirects, possible hijack of userinit.exe, programs running silent in background that wait to close when I log off, boot loops (there's a system password set in Toshiba Assist and it won't let me change it), I've set Chrome as my default browser yet IE opens. I'm using a 13 Jan 2011 hosts file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ - I was using Webroot for a year and now using Avast! paid edition. Noticed that the past few days Microsoft Single Image installer loads each time I open a new browser window (not a tab) and a huge concern for data theft, keylogging etc.

I've downloaded all the tools you've recommended and I'm ready to go when someone has time to help.

Thanks so much ~

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3958 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 310M, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 464783 MB, Free - 359201 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Disabled (not true, the uninstall .exe was missing so I edited the registry and deleted what I could find referencing it yet obviously a key still lingers) I'm using Avast! paid edition

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice