1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot/MBR issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AMW1, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AMW1

AMW1 Thread Starter

Hi
    I recently acquired a laptop from a neighbour the laptop after it had been dropped; I replaced the power jack on it and reinstalled Win 7 to get a clean start and to wipe out there data.
    I now get the message “no operating system found”.

I have tried installing Linux Mint (both on its own and as a duel boot) but still get the same issue.
    When installing Windows at the point where it restarts the computer it boots to the DVD and does not complete the installation on that restart but will on others/later restarts.

I can boot in on occasion usually after the computer has been off or on (via Mint boot USB or Hirren Boot CD) for a long period thou the laptop feels sluggish thou this may just be me.

I’ve tried a number of things including:-
    /fixmbr and /fixboot from the Windows CD
    Wiping all the partitions using Partition Wizard in HBCD
    Cheacking the MBR using MBRCheck in HBCD
    Using HBCD to Fix MBR
    I’ve run Memtest86, Windows Memory Diagnostics (extended) and CHKDSK
    Checked S.M.A.R.T info and preformed a surface scan of the disk

All of the above either didn’t work or showed no errors.

The laptop was having issues before I got the machine, I just want to know whether this issues if fix able or if the laptop needs a new hard drive, or whether to cut my losses and try to part the machine out on ebay.

Any help is appreciated
    Andrew

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    When you go into the BIOS, is the hard drive seen?
    It seems like perhaps it is not because you installed Win 7 and are now getting "no operating system found".

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would disconnect then reconnect the hard drive, it may have moved due to the fall and has an intermittent connection now.

4. AMW1

AMW1 Thread Starter

Hi ploder and managed
    The drive is visible in the BIOS I can also see the drive using live CDs/USBs.

The drive was removed when the power jack was replaced, I’ve had a feel at the drive and there is no movement on the drive when it’s screwed in place.

I turned the computer on this morning and it booted into windows first time I restarted it to install updates and got the no OS found error.

Thanks Andrew

5. Agye

Agye

the problem you're describing seems to be a hard drive issue but the test indicates likewise well my suggestion based on your reply is you can either check if there is an issue with the sata cable sometimes becoming loose due to the spinning of the hard drive else you have to check the hard drive again cuz it might be dying

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That sounds to me as though the heads might have crashed onto the surface when it was dropped and been damaged.

7. AMW1

AMW1 Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks for the help, I tried the drive in another laptop and had problems booting, so from this and what everybody’s here has said its confirmed my suspicions from before i even got the machine that there was a problem with the hard drive.

I’ll keep the post open for a few more day.

Andrew

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I would remove all partitions then create new one(s), format (not Quick format) and then try to reinstall 7. Formatting like that can replace any bad sectors with spare ones.

EDIT : Not booting in another laptop can be caused by driver differences compared to the original laptop and so could be normal.

9. DaveBurnett

Allan edit: It should at least TRY to boot and likely would in safe mode.

10. AMW1

AMW1 Thread Starter

Hi

Reformatting the drive and reinstalling produces the same the results.

Andrew

11. DaveBurnett

Have you tried the disk maker's test tools on that disk.

12. AMW1

AMW1 Thread Starter

Hi Dave

The drive is a Toshiba so there is no test tools for it I tried Hitachi/WD tools but it did not find the drive I’ve tried the Seagate tools they found no problems.

I found a smart test on HBCD which showed a G sensor issue

Andrew

13. DaveBurnett

That does imply that it has suffered from the drop.
    The G sensor obviously indicates how much shock there has been.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Maybe so Dave, I think the OP needs to tell us more about the 'boot problems' on the other laptop to be sure though.

15. AMW1

AMW1 Thread Starter

Hi

Just to clarify when I put the drive into another laptop it booted to window with no issues (including driver/hardware issues)
    but wouldn't boot on a restart.

Andrew

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice