1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot, normally or in safe mode, I get a blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JaxReaper, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JaxReaper

JaxReaper Thread Starter

I am having a similar issue. I am able to get a command prompt open and run chkdsk /r and it ends with the same error. I imagine nytenurse may have used the same method. When I try to boot, normally or in safe mode, I get a blue screen with STOP: 0x00000123. This happens every time I attempt to boot.

Any idea?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I have moved you thread - as it gets very confusing with two questions running

post make and model of PC
    do you have a Windows CD or recovery

have you installed anything recently

if you can get into dos and have the windows cd
    try
    sfc /scannow
    read about it here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html
    or
    boot the recovery / windows CD and do a repair

3. JaxReaper

JaxReaper Thread Starter

HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx

I haven't installed any new programs or hardware in a couple of weeks. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, but was able to fix it by running chkdsk /f. I didn't get the blue screen then, though.

When I run sfc /scannow I get the error message: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

I have a recovery disk, which is what i'm using to get wthe command prompt open. I've try to restore the computer, but it doesn't have any restore points. I ran startup repair, which fails, but gives the error: "System volume on disk is corrupt."

I believe I would be able to recover the system to factory defaults, I was just hoping this could be avoided, as I don not wish to lose all my files. Of course, if there is no other solution, than I will give it a shot. I found some information saying my hard drive may be failing, which I hope is not the case.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try this to copy files off - BUT you need another PC with a CD writer
    www.ubuntu.com
    download ISO
    right click the file and burn toCD - to create a bootable CD
    now boot that CD up on the broken PC - run the software from the CD do not install
    now you may be able to copy files OFF the harddrive onto a USB device

5. JaxReaper

JaxReaper Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the info.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/876433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice