Boot order

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kevlar19

I have an old Windows XP computer. I'm trying to boot from a CD. In the advanced BIOS setup I change the boot order to have the CD drive boot first but it still doesn't. I even changed all the boot devices to CD and it still doesn't do it. Any ideas?

etaf

Wayne
are you sure the CD is a boot CD and can boot up OK ?

etaf

Wayne
whats the make and model of the PC _ it should be just a matter of changing the boot order as you have done...
some PCs do have a F key which allows you to select the boot device - but maybe theres a fault on the Drive ....

Kevlar19

This a very OLD computer. The tower says "reliable computer", thats all. Where would I look in the system to get that info?

Kevlar19

I right clicked on computer, went to properties, but it doesn't tell me make and model

Model:

* Go to Start > Accessories > Command Prompt
* Type, wmic computersystem get model
* Press Enter

Make:

* Go to Start > Accessories > Command Prompt
* Type, wmic computersystem get Manufacturer
* Press Enter

Kevlar19

helpful, the system won't allow me to do those commands because i cannot log on as an administrator. The pc was donated to us and we don't know the admin password. And because I don't have administrator rights, I can't install new programs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online