1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Partition non usable.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dane00, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dane00

dane00 Thread Starter

:confused: I used partion magic to convert 3 partitions into 2. Then wrote a ghost image file of XP into the boot partition. But now I am unable to boot. I get "NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart" message.

I tried reinstalling a fresh XP copy using the recovery CD. But it says my C: partition is corrupt and setup cant install. Truly frustrated about the whole thing. I cannot even format it now.

I have tried many utilities like fixntldr.exe etc. but to no effect.
    Please help.

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Pretty confusing as to what you were trying to accomplish.
    3 partitions into 2? Don't you mean you had 3 partitions and you combined two so you now have a total of two? Or did you do something more extensive?

Did you try going into recovery console and run fixmbr and fixboot?

The recovery cd should just put a factory image back on your hard drive. Is this a home made recovery cd and not one that came with your pc?

At this point, I have to assume you backed up all your important data BEFORE you did the PM thing [as PM warns you to do multiple times], so either restore a factory image back onto the drive or go get a xp cd and do a fresh install.

During install you will want to wipe out all partitions and partition as you desire. This is not a choice you get with the factory restore.

3. dane00

dane00 Thread Starter

Yes I had 3 partitions. I deleted 1 and resized the remaining 2 to my requirement. I already have an image of winxp basic stored. So I restored the image. ANd then this NTLDR thing started. I have tried almost everything from fixboot,fixmbr to copying NTLDR from original XP disk etc.
    Then I tried a fresh install from my original XP disk. At the disk formatting stage it attempts to format the C: drive and says partition is damaged or corrupt and asks me to choose a different partiton. But when I choose the D: partition it again attempts to format C: and quits saying the disk is damaged or corrupt.
    I tried deleting all the partitions and repartitioning the disk but nothing seems to work.
    Is it a case of the disk going bad? Or is there any thing else to try out.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What were the 3 original partitions? Did you have a recovery partition on the drive?

Are you using the XP disk that came with the machine and is it a full version or just a recovery CD?

What was the source of the image that you restored? Was the image of the first partition of the first drive (from the same location you plan to restore it)?

5. dane00

dane00 Thread Starter

It is basically a 20Gb hard drive which was partitioned into 3 parts. C,D and E. C was the active OS partition and the rest two were for data etc. I had burned a norton Ghost image of the C: partition on a CD for quick recovery later. Till now I have restored using this image a number of times without a problem. So this problem is probably somehow related to the repartitioning by Partition magic.

I am using the full version XP disk with the machine.

I also remember now that soon after I restored the image after repartitioning I managed to boot the first time. And there was a driver installation error message regarding some hard disk driver not being found/installed. I tried installing it and eventually ignored it after it didnt get installed. And then the next time I tried to boot I got to this NTLDR missing point. The driver name started with something like ISSSC(I dont recollect very well though). Wonder if that could have been an issue.

I have all my data backed up so thats not an issue. All I want is to somehow make the harddisk to work and reinstall the OS.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is this just an ordinary IDE drive? (I wondering if SCSI may have been mentioned in the message.)

Try booting from one of these. If you make the bootable CD from the ISO, there will be a number of choices for which partition to boot from (He made it "multilanguage" by using a different language in each line, but it is a logical pattern). Probably the first will be the one, anyway. If it boots, then we can copy boot files from the CD and/or edit the boot.ini.

Bootable XP Sysboot Floppy
    XP Sysboot CD Image

How To Write ISO Files To CD

Free ISO burning apps:

Standalone ISO Burner (Be sure to check the "Finalize" box.)
    [email protected] ISO Burner
    EasyISO
    BurnISO
    ISOBurn
    ISO Recorder for XP (Uses XP's burner and adds context menu - Vista version also available.)

7. dane00

dane00 Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try booting from those and get back as to what happened. It is an ordinary IDE harddrive. I dont think SCSI was mentioned in the error message.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you don't get anywhere with that, boot from the XP CD into the Recovery Console and type:

map

What partitions are listed?

9. dane00

dane00 Thread Starter

Actually that Xpboot.zip is the same as what I tried initially as mentioned in my first post...Fixntldr.iso which didnt work in any of the 10 options.

After typing map in the recovery console I get the following partitions....
    c: \Device\Harddisk0\partition1
    d: \Device\Harddisk0\partition2
    a: \Device\Floppy0
    e: \Device\CdRom0

When I type Chkdsk /r it gives the message "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

When I try a fresh XP install after trying to format the message "Setup was unable to format drive C. The hard disk may be damaged. Make sure the disk is on and properly connected to your computer etc. Setup cannot continue." comes up.
    Can anything else be done?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like a bad drive, but it could still be something else, like bad connections, invalid partition tables,etc. Try an independent test of the drive. The manufacturer's is good, or you can find a bootable test among these:

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Did you change the size of the C partition with Partition Magic ?
    Why was it necessary to restore the Ghost Image to C ?
    What version of Ghost are you using ?

12. dane00

dane00 Thread Starter

I will try those utilities and see. But it is rather strange that just partitioning a drive can damage it unless it was just a coincidence. Is there any way a damaged disk(if that is the case) can be repaired?

@managed
    Yes I resized the C partition using Partition magic. The Ghost version is 2001.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

I agree that it is an unusual concatenation of events. It is not unherad of, however, since major operations like formatting are a strain on a flaky drive.

But the unusual nature of this sequence is the reason I suggested that the drive be tested to see if it is physically intact so we can narrow down the problem to the contents of the drive or the drive itself. Don't give up yet.

If you could repartition with something other than PM it may prove helpful. Even free ones seem less error-prone.

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    SystemRescueCD
    Gparted LiveCD
    Parted Magic

14. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

I would suspect the drive is fine but that there is unrecoverable disk corruption.

It was bad enough resizing c: when d: existed assuming it also contain data. That unto itself is enough to wack the partition table.

Then to then put a ghost image on...
    We don't know if it was a partition to partition image or a drive image.

If you still want to preserve the ghosted image [which appears that it may be from a different system than the original - disk driver error] then you need to do a repair install of XP. Make sure you have all your mainboard drivers available.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I do have one question outside of the fact that using Partition Magic has caused the problem that is going on. Is the version of Partition Magic a legal version or a copy?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice