1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot problem after cloning HD partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DonLoukes, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonLoukes

DonLoukes Thread Starter

I am going to be building a new Win 7 computer in a couple of days and need to move the 1Tb SATA hard drive from my present XP computer to the new computer, but I want to keep the old XP computer alive with all my programs and data intact. I have an old 250Gb IDE hard drive, so I decided to clone partition C on the 1Gb SATA drive to partition C on the 250Gb IDE drive and use the 250Gb IDE drive in my XP computer.

I used 3 different cloning programs, none of which worked because the 250Gb drive would not boot past post. I have since found this is because I was cloning SATA to IDE.

I then installed a fresh copy of XP onto the C partition of the 250Gb drive in order to set the boot record. Then I put both drives into another computer and used Windows Explorer to delete everything from the 250Gb drive's C partition and copied in everything from the 1Tb drive's C partition.

The 250Gb drive now boots and seems to work perfectly - but only if the 1Tb drive is also present in the computer. If the 1Tb drive is removed the 250Gb drive will only boot to the point where the words "Starting your computer.." should be shown, then it freezes and Ctrl_Alt_Del does not work.

My guess is that it is a registry entry problem - but it might not be. Please help.

2. DonLoukes

DonLoukes Thread Starter

SOLVED - and it was simple. All I had to do was change the 250Gb drive's letter to C.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice