Boot problem after installing Maxtor HD as slave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beard24

Hi, ive just been given a Maxtor diamond series 160GB HDD by a friend who is upgrading his system. Ive tried to install it as a slave to my 120GB hard drive which i have just freshly formatted and re-installed Windows XP on. I have only got SP1 at the moment.

I have the 120GB set as a master and jumpered correctly, the Maxtor 160GB is set as a slave by default in that it needs no jumpers to be set to slave. They are connected via IDE cables to the motherboard (Asrock K7VM2).

Everyting boots fine when its just the 120GB master connected by itself but when i switch off and reboot after connecting the Maxtor 160GB, the system gets to the screen where it searches for the Primary master/slaves and Seconday master/slaves and reboots.

Even when i get into the BIOS to see whats happening and if the system is even recognising the drive, the system restarts after a few seconds and it just continues in a loop like this until i switch off and disconnect the Maxtor.

I don't understand why it's doing this, could it be compatability issue between HDDs or the Maxtor and the motherboard perhaps?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

beard24

it says on the jumper setup diagram on the label "No jumper = DS slave"

I have just checked Maxtor's website, all the diamond series require a jumper for slave.
I have never come across an ATA that did not require a jumper.

beard24

ok cheers, i thought it seemed a little strange to have no jumpers. will investigate further and get back to ya

beard24

right, just checked on maxtors site myself and this page http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/mxo_ata_jumpers.gif
says i need a jumper across the 1st 2 pins from left to right on the top row, (for my particular HDD - diamond max 10 PATA)
despite the label on the drive itself claiming otherwise. Ive put in a jumper in specified place and will see what happens this time. back soon

beard24

right the system booted ok after a couple of error messages here and there but I got into windows fine. On startup it detected the presence of the Maxtor drive when searching for primary/secondary masters/slaves. The next screen that comes up where it looks for boot records from floppy/CD/HDD does not show the Maxtor Drive, only the original 120GB system (master) drive, the same goes once i get into windows itself: I goto my computer and it lists all the drives in there except the Maxtor as tho it isnt connected.

Any more ideas?

beard24

will the master need setting to cable select?
i saw a thread on another forum somewhere recently about finding it in device manager but it didnt list it, even after a scan for hardware changes :-S

when i boot up (as i mentioned before) it doesnt detect the Maxtor after the 1st screen.
on the next screen (where it looks for boot records from floppy/CD/HDD) it searches for the maxtor for about 30secs, gives up then tells me i have a "primary Hdd error, hit F1 to continue", so I hit F1 and it boots as normal but doesnt show the maxtor... if that any use at all?

will try the cable select trick tho

beard24

ok set the maxtor to cable select as per the diagram+ur instructions, leaving the master drive set to master as before and the system just kept rebooting as before. So ive disconnected it and come back online to post this

ta

On rereading your post I noticed the drive is 160g and you only have sp1 installed.
You need sp2 to recognise a drive over 137g

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
bigbear said:
On rereading your post I noticed the drive is 160g and you only have sp1 installed.
You need sp2 to recognise a drive over 137g
Actually, SP1 was the one that added LBA48 support for large drives.

beard24

ok just put SP2 on here and tried to reboot with Maxtor set to cable select and connected to the corresponding IDE connector on the cable and it went into the restarting loop again.

Tried it with the jumper set to slave again and had the same result as before

Any ideas?

You will need to set both hard drives to cable select. Just setting the 160GB to CS will not work. Also using CS, The 160GB drive should be on the middle connector.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online