boot problem at POST

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wildcat--2

I have a HP pavillion which won't go past the POST test.
Any suggestions?

Would having more RAM than the motherboard can handle cause this???

wildcat--2 said:
I have a HP pavillion which won't go past the POST test.
Any suggestions?

Would having more RAM than the motherboard can handle cause this???
Possibly but a good method to troubleshoot would be to remove all but one as well as expansion cards should be removed all but the video card...

wildcat--2

The only extra card in the machine was a 2nd RAM card. I took out the extra (returning it to the way it was when I got it) and now I can't get a Beep code out of it.

Since I took out the RAM any monitor I use doesn't even know it is connected to the PC. The monitor is integrated into the Motherboard. Would this be a bad MB?

mobo said:
Try the other ram stick by itself now
Yes this is a very good idea. Try each stick separately in each slot separately and see if it works. Good way to trace down bad memory and bad slots ;)

Sounds like what I went through with my pavilion a while back. It was only seven months old when that happened. Turned out they had to replace the motherboard and hard drive.

wildcat--2

Using one stick in the other slot allowed the monitor to show the screen during the POST; but, it still won't go past this point. Does that mean the other slot is bad?

Triple6

Rob
Do both sticks of RAM work in that one slot? On HP, and many systems that have intergrated video, the RAM must be in the first slot - usually labeled 1 or 0.

Did this just happen or is this a computer you just got/built? What to see on the screen? Hit ESC or TAB to clear the HP logo and check for errors.

wildcat--2

Triple6 said:
Do both sticks of RAM work in that one slot? On HP, and many systems that have intergrated video, the RAM must be in the first slot - usually labeled 1 or 0.

Did this just happen or is this a computer you just got/built? What to see on the screen? Hit ESC or TAB to clear the HP logo and check for errors.
"Do both sticks of RAM work in that one slot?"

The 2nd stick does work in the DIMM 1 slot. That answers that Question. Thank you.

"Did this just happen or is this a computer you just got/built?"

This is a computer I got from a friend after I did some work for him and helped him troubleshoot another problem. The PC worked when I turned it off about a year and a half ago. I turned it on to make sure I could sell it in a garage sale when this problem showed up. The work I did on this PC earlier was replace the power supply and re-sodder the power switch so it would turn on/off.

"What to see on the screen? Hit ESC or TAB to clear the HP logo and check for errors.."

THe only thing on the screen is the HP logo. I hit ESC and TAB but nothing happens.

I migh be wrong but if the machine is older than 5 yrs old could the cmos battery be failing

Yes it could be the battery. It could also be a bad connection, especially if it was sitting in the basement or in the garage....

wildcat--2

Wet Chicken said:
Yes it could be the battery. It could also be a bad connection, especially if it was sitting in the basement or in the garage....
on the CMOS battery? or where?

wet chicken means that the bad connection can be a ide cable that is not connected correctly on the ide controller

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online

No members online now.