1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problem: Blinking Curson After BIOS Load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by itmerlin, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itmerlin

itmerlin Thread Starter

I have a boot problem where I get a blinking cursor after the BIOS loads. Its a Dell 4500s desktop. I have tried the following:

1) Repair option with Windows XP Professional CD
    2) Intalled new instance of the OS (on the same partition "C")
    3) Ran Dell hardware diagnostic test on the hard drive - No Errors reported !!

I am thinking there is some kind of a bood sector problem. Need some help (instructions and/or tool(s) to fix the problem.

End objective desired:

a) Repart original installation of the OS (have lots of apps and settings to loose)
    OR
    b) Copy "documents and settings" folder at least from the current installation on C Drive.

Please advise/help.

thanks.

2. bbearren

bbearren

3. itmerlin

itmerlin Thread Starter

Yep tried that but the XP repair does not fix anything. I have even tried a fresh install in a different folder (Windows2) but that doesnot work either.

Any other suggestions??

4. bbearren

bbearren

Can you be a little more specific? Did the repair/reinstall not work, or did it work, go through the reboot, copy the rest of the files, complete the installation, etc. then return to the blinking curser after a reboot?

5. itmerlin

itmerlin Thread Starter

everything you said above didn't work. I tried the repair/install procedures you mentioned above. So when the repair installation finishes it asks for a system reboot and when the system reboots, it goes back to the blinker cursor ! any other ideas??

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!