1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problem Help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gowerpoint, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gowerpoint

gowerpoint Thread Starter

My 2Yr old Medion 6486 desktop was bought new with Vista loaded and I updated
    to Win 7 a year ago.
    All has worked well until a recent shutdown using the front on/off switch.
    Since then I have not been able to boot up from the hard drive and thought that
    the hard drive had failed. There were no audible indications or screen messages
    to indicate drive failure but I have carefully fitted a new WD 1TB hard drive with a
    new SATA connector and tried to load windows from my Win7 installation disc.
    The install gets as far as selecting a partition configuration. I get the message
    "partitioning" and after a long wait I get "unable to partition drive, check connectivity etc."
    Both drives, old and new are SATA 2 without jumpers. Neither appear to spin up.
    DC Voltages on the Sata power plug are +3.35V, +5.08V and +12V. I have checked
    the motherboard plugs are secure and don't suspect the ATX PSU because of the
    above mentioned Voltage measurements. I suspect that the original drive is ok and
    still loaded with Windows and all progs and files. It appears to be lack of recognition
    and communication between hard drive and motherboard.
    Booting into BIOS shows the SATA setting is on AHCI but when I boot up normally
    I get displayed "no devices present" and "AHCI BIOS not installed!!", followed by
    the usual disk info and PCI listing. When it gets to "verifying DMI Pool Data" there
    is a pause, then "disk boot failure" > "please insert system disk and press enter".
    Both optical drives are shown by model during bootup but no HDD shown, nor is
    any HDD shown in BIOS.
    I have been using a borrowed laptop for a few weeks and would like to get my
    desktop PC back in working order. I would be very grateful for any suggestions
    regarding the symptoms above. Thanks for your time.

2. Hughv

Hughv

You may get better responses if you ask a mod (Report) to move this to the hardware section.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you tried it with the AHCI off.
    It won't damage anything and it might work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice