1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot problem on my home built

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hansmax, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

My son's computer has a problem and I'm wondering if any one has an idea of where to look. His installation of WinXP home was booting to the login window, but I had no mouse or keyboard there. Decided to reinstall everything, but it would't boot a Killdisc floppy. It then booted a DBAN floppy, but eventually told me to put a different disc in, that there were problems, etc. I then put in the WinXP install home CD, which booted and proceeded to install all the drivers needed prior to beginning the install. The first time, (installing from the CD drive) it just booted me back to Windows after installing all that, and the second time (installing from the DVD drive, don't ask why I have both) it installed all those drivers and froze on "starting Windows". I'm thinking this is a motherboard problem, in which case I will just end up canabalizing the PC and saying adios. It's an old ASUS P4S533 MB, with a 2 gig Intel processor, 1500 MB ram. I suspect that the old installation of WinXP Home was corrupted, causing the mouse and keyboard malfunction at the boot screen. The keyboard appears to be working when navigating around install options. I never got far enough to use the mouse, but I think it's functional also. Has anyone seen this, and might it be something else? Any help would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice