1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot problem with Via Mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCMan78, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I have a boot problem with my computer:

2.4Ghz Celeron CPU
    Via P4XB-SA Motherboard
    60GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD (Set Master on Primary IDE)
    256Mb PC2100 RAM
    Matrox 4mb VGA PCI Card
    Onboard Sound
    Floppy
    DVD Drive (Set master on Secondary IDE)
    Optimized Defaults were loaded

I changed out the RAM, CPU, and the HD and still have the same problem. I tried setting standard defaults in Bios (even tried switching some things around in bios) and still get the same problem.

When I boot the system, it will go through HD detect, RAM Count, and DVD Drive Detect fine, but when it switches to the next screen (when the floppy drive starts to read), it will go to a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. I kinda narrowed it down to either the Mobo or VGA card. All components are new so I don't think it is a hardware malfunction, just a setting or incompatibility issue. It could also be some type of setting in bios that I may be over looking. Anyway, I can let it sit for 30 mins and it still stays on the same screen. I tried to manually erase CMOS. Doesn't work either. I also made sure that master and slave was set correctly on the HD and DVD Drive. Everything to my knowlegde is correct. Any advice?

2. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

If u havn't already done this....Check ur Read Graphics 1st setting in Bios. Be sure it is set to PCI Graphics and not AGP. Just in case, worth a look.

4. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

It was set on PCI.

5. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

U said u changed out the Ram. How did u change it ? Did u just add more to what u had; or did u change it out completlely. If the latter, then, what was it bef and what it is now ?

Also, elaborate on the Hard Disk change. Was it a fresh re-install
    or, did u do a disk to disk copy using the drv manufact's utility ?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have it install any version of Windows onto this drive? It sounds like it stops once it get to the part when it should load windows. Have you tried reinstalling windows?

7. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I went ahead and installed another Mobo. It booted fine after that so the problem lies with the Mobo. It is new, so I do not think that it is a hardware failure. No OS was on the HD. I checked the RAM and HD by switching it out with the identical or similiar NEW equipment. This Mobo problem got me stumped. I also thought that it may not be compatitble with a celeron CPU until I install an update (they have a bios update for celeron CPUs), so I placed a P4 2.4ghz CPU in there and it still did the same thing. I even went all out and changed bios settings all up (even ones I had no clue what they did ;) ). I still had the same problem. Got me?

8. dai

dai

the 4 in 1 drivers seem to have problems with xp when installing new video drivers you need to delete the old ones and install the 4 in 1's again before installing the new video drivers

9. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

Everything was clean. Brand New with no drivers install. I build systems and I have built multiple ones like this, just not with this mobo. I was just wondering if someone was familiar with this type of mobo and they new what type of problem that was.

10. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i may have no idea what i'm talking about, but i had the same thing happen to me a couple days ago...
    300mhz celeron on a asus mew-am mobo, no o/s yet, maxtor hdd, yada yada, and a mitsumi cdrw.

i got past the blinking cursor thing with a 98 boot disk, but then i had problems installing win98. so i noticed the cdrw drive isn't showing up, went to mitsumi's site, and downloaded drivers. installed them- problem fixed? no.

then i couldn't get win98 to finish installing. it kept hanging at 100% when it checks for installed components. someone suggested that i install from hdd, and stepbysteped me thru that.

i couldn't even ever get to the bios for that thing... it was a compaq board, so everything was all retarded on it.

well, i know i probably didn't help much, but i thought i'd mention it, just in case.

11. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Am I reading this right? It stopped at a pre-DOS prompt (with no OS on the hard-drive) and you were expecting it to do what exactly?

It sounds to me like it was doing everything exactly the way it should...,had there been an OS on the drive,you'd have booted into it.

I dunno'...,maybe I didn't read this right...
    Please tell me exactly what you were expecting to see.

12. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

Pre-Dos just hangs. I insert a Windows 98, ME, ...etc. boot disk and the floppy drive light goes to read the disk then the light just stays lit when it reaches the blank screen with a blinking cursor. I tried booting from CD-ROM with Windows 98 in the Drive and the computer stills hangs at a blank screen with a blinking cursor. I can't not get to no dos prompt anyway possible. I just replaced the Mobo with a Biostar P4SXQ and it booted fine with the same boot disk and I formated the HD and installed XP great. Something is wrong with the Mobo or some type of setting is misconfigured. The same components were used the same way with both Mobos (in other words, I didn't switch any cables or components around when I switched Mobos).

13. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

ok...,I am following you now.
    Did the floppy light only light up after a disk was inserted,or was it on all the time? [usually means the cable is on backwards]

Was the boot order in the BIOS set to search for a floppy at some point? [I always set my order to look for a floppy 1st,then CD,then IDE #0,and to look for any other possible boot device]

Could you hear the boot floppy being accessed by the drive? [be sure the BIOS was aware the floppy existed]

I'd be most concerned that the BIOS Optimized Defaults may have changed the boot order and it wasn't even looking for a floppy...

14. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

Nope. Cable correct. Floppy boot 1st. I even changed it to CD 1st and still would not boot to CD. Tried disconnecting the floppy completly and changing the bios floppy setting to "none". Like I said, I kept the system set up the same way (HD, Cables, Connections, ...etc.) and placed another Mobo inside and then it booted fine and yadaaa yada. Maybe I should crack the motherboard in half and say f&^%*! it :p .

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to set up the system outside of the case and only connect the CPU with HSF, 1 stick of RAM, a video card and see if it boots further. Attach a floppy to see if boot it.

Could be a short or incompatibility.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice