1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problem with Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stingrey, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stingrey

Stingrey Thread Starter

HELP!
    I'm having a problem booting up my computer when I turn it on after being off for more than a few minutes. It started out of the blue about three weeks ago. When I turn on my PC it will shut down and restart several times before it ever gets to the login screen. It will restart anywhere between 2 - 10 times before it gets stable. Many of the times that this happens I would get a screen that says the following:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose LAST GOOD CONFIGURATION to revert to the most recent settings that worked

If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren’t sure what caused the problem choose START WINDOWS NORMALLY

I've tried several things including reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows XP but it still happens. Once i login everything is ok, but I'm afraid of turning it off and one day not being able to get in it at all. All the restarts can't be good.

HELP! I don't know what else to try and Gateway is no help.

Here's some info about my PC you might want or need:
    Gateway Select 1000 PC (2 1/2 years old)
    AMD Athlon 1000MHz
    40GB 7M Ultra ATA Hard Drive
    Upgraded from Win ME a year ago

2. greengeek

greengeek

Go to system properties, advanced, startup and recovery, settings and untick the box for automatic restart.

3. Stingrey

Stingrey Thread Starter

Thanks greengeek, I tried what you suggested but unfortunately it did not work. It still goes through multiple shut downs and restarts before getting to the login screen. Is there anything else you can suggest?

4. greengeek

greengeek

Sounds like it might be a hardware problem. The first thing I'd do is clean out all the dust and reseat all the cards and cables, sometimes that's all it takes.

5. e-liam

e-liam

Hi stingrey, and welcome to TSG.. :)

This happened to a friends machine. It's still not 100% but the reboots were cured. Could you go through the multiple boots until it becomes stable and then please download 'Hijack This!' from http://www.spywareinfo.com/files/hijackthis.zip Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. The entry that I'm hoping to find will look something like

F1 - win.ini: load=load=load=
    (one load for each of the times it boots)

Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required. :)

Cheers

Liam

6. Stingrey

Stingrey Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your advice.

I cleaned out the dust & checked the connections - no change

I downloaded that program hijackthis and this is what I got:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 9:26:36 PM, on 10/6/2003
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Rey\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=nym
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Speed racer] C:\Program Files\Creative\PlayCenter\CTSRReg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioHQ] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37897.4998148148

Does that tell you anything Liam?

Someone else suggested that it might be the power supply.

I was able to write down some info from the battery supply casing. Here's what I have:

Gateway Newton Power Supply
    Model - NPS-250CBA
    Output 250 W Max

specs at http://www.alancomputech.com/6500525.html

Do you think the power supply is going bad?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice