1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LAN, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LAN

LAN Thread Starter

I try to get an old 486 DX4 running. Every time I want to boot from floppy disk it hangs up (while showing "loading MS Dos" etc.). There is a Dos version of Windows 95 installed and you can write and read from the floppy disk. So I tried to install Win 95 using Laplink. But when the Setup restarted the Computer it hang up again. It seems to be a BIOS settings problem because I replaced the Harddisk and the floppy drive and it was still the same. Has anyone an idea, what else I could try? (Perhaps it has to do with the PCI Graphics Card, because the last message on the screen is: PCI device is listening... and then it shows the Port settings and so on)

2. tjsudo

tjsudo

Hi,

Do you need to use laplink? It's a file transfer utility, right?

Where's your win95 located?(on what media?)

TJ

3. LAN

LAN Thread Starter

I have Win95 on CD-ROM. That's why I had to use Laplink. The problem now is, that it hangs up all the time (before I installed Win95 it hung up only when there was a boot disk in the floppy drive). I also tried to change the slot of the PCI- Graphics Card but that didn't change anything. The strange thing is, that the Computer works (or better worked, before I tried to install Win95) correct, you can read and write from disk and so on, it has just problems, when it boots from floppy disk or reboots after you have run a setup program... I wonder if the motherboard is damaged...

4. tjsudo

tjsudo

Sorry, but I still don't understand why you have to use Laplink.

Are you trying to install win95 full ver. on DOS6.22?

TJ

5. LAN

LAN Thread Starter

No, not on DOS 6.22, that's the problem. It is a Win95 Dos Version. I tried to install Dos 6.22 but if you want to do that, you have to reboot and there we are back again...
    The next thing I tried was to install Win 3.11 and try to upgrade it to Win95, but Win 3.11 is not compatible with the Dos version...
    As I have no CD-Rom under Dos, I tried to use Laplink to install it (I used it as an "external CD-ROM-Drive", if you want...). But anyway, if I would have installed it from an external CD-ROM Drive it would have been the same: When the setup is finished, the PC reboots and that's where it hangs up all the time.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi LAN, I'm not sure if everyone is able to follow here....

What do you mean by windows 95 dos version????

And when you say you have no cdrom under dos.....have you tried booting with a windows bootable floppy disk that has cdrom support?

When you say it hangs, does windows eventually load? Or just come to a standstill?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice