1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by st.samples, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. st.samples

st.samples Thread Starter

I just built a new computer. When I try to boot up for the first time the fan spins up for less then a second and then stops. I have reseated the mother board. I also verified that the cpu/heatsink and memory were installed correctly. I removed all other cords and cards and the same thing happens. Is the motherboard bad or is there somthing I may be doing wrong?

2. caelcormac

caelcormac

When I built my first computer I had the jumpers for the power switch wrong and all that I would get would be an initial fan burst before everything went silent. After I got the jumpers in the correct place everything worked fine.

3. Drunkbudda

Drunkbudda

You can try and disconnect all of your drives, including your hard drive and see if it will boot. If it does you have a bad drive. In fact the machine I,m using right now has somewhat of the same problem. Turn in on and only get a two second burst then everything goes off. I found that the primary hard drive has a problem and is killing the power during the post.
    In fact you can even pull the memory out and it should post but not kill the power. if you get to the point that you have nothing but the motherboard and it still will not power up, disconnect the power and then unplug the power connector from the motherboard and use a jumper and connect any of the black wires to the green wire, then reconnect the power. DO NOT plug the connector back to the motherboard. With the jumper in place your power supply fan should come on and run.
    If you find you have a bad drive just reconnect them one at a time untill it fails to power up and then you have found your problem. Good luck and let us know what you find.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

What's the size of the Power Supply your running on? Jazz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice