1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot problems, vista / xp dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kjdooris, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

Heres the run down:

Hard drive with 3 partitions.

Installed XP first
    Installed Vista second

I want to format the XP partition to install a light version.

The XP partition is the Boot partition, so i cant format it.

How do i change the boot partition to be the Vista partition. (what files need moved, where from where to, do they need edited in any way etc)

This is annoying my head!! if i had installed Vista first there would have been no problem i take it!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

EDIT

=============================

Problem that occured trying to sort this out, which is fixed

I needed to format the XP partition, but it wouldnt let me, as its partition was the boot partition.

The XP partiton was marked active, so I marked the vista partition as active, and restarted.

Then it just sat trying to boot (flashing _ )

I popped in the vista DVD, hit repair installation.

I ran the startup repair tool, it detected that the boot file was missing. It said it fixed the error, and i restarted the machine.

The same problem is happening..... (flashing _ )

I tried running the startup repair tool again, but it now does not detect any errors.

I used ultimate boot cd to mark the XP partition as active, robooted and it loaded up like it did originally.
    =================================================================

2. danieldp

danieldp

try tis i hopes it works for you :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Remove the XP partition and leave it empty. Run Vista Startup Repair and get Vista booting. Then partition your empty partition and install what you want (and some sort of boot management, of course).

Use Parted Magic.

4. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

Daniel: Its already set like that.

Elvandil: I'll give that a try, then follow the sticky threads instructions to install XP

5. danieldp

danieldp

kewl, i remeber it happen to me too, so i install xp than install on other partition, however try the steps on this link and comment by others who have already used this link successfully.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/724794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice