1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pschan, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

hi, i have a similar problem but when i boot up it says "error loading os" or "unable to load os"
    I also tried the startup repair with the same results as op, the report says mbr was corrupt, tried /fixmbr it said completed successfully but it didn't change anything, /fixboot and /rebuildbcd didn't work as it could not detect an os,
    anyways, i dl ubuntu 11.10 and i can't access any of the files, it says the hdd is not partitioned and the only thing i can do is format the drive, are there any other ways to access my files, or am i hooped? thanks

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Sounds like you may have lost your partitions so you could try this tool http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

This guide shows how to repair the boot sector in Vista, slightly different from what you have tried, fixmbr is for XP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

If nothing gets it going then I would suspect your hard drive is failing, run the diagnostics as detailed below.

This disc may find your files but as you have already tried something similar it could just be a shot in the dark. Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows running this from a live CD may get there, unless that is what you have already tried.

3. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

How do I use the partition tool? it looks like a program i would need to install, that doesn't really help me if i have no working os to install it on

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    You follow the guide posted by Mark1956 which tell you how to use a 'live CD' rather than an installed operating system. That is the link to "Ubuntu live cd ...." above.

Hope this helps?

Richard

5. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

6. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

so following instructions from link above for ubuntu live: using ubuntu 10.04, navigating to places/computer, no drives show up, the only thing there is filesystem..... using ubuntu 11.10 i found the drive by going to applications/disk utility but from there nothing for me to do except format the drive like i said before,

WD hdd diagnostics cd did not work, couldn't even get it to run, d/l the iso from WD, tried to run it and it gives me message "Unable to locate the licence agreement file, dlglice.txt; please make sure that the license agreement file is located in the same path as dlgdiag.exe"

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should really be trying to recover your files before making any changes to the partitions which could end up making that impossible.

There are file recovery options in Testdisk which is available as a boot CD image and is also already installed on Parted Magic. Parted Magic also has other file recovery tools, and Testdisk can also be used to attempt to recover the partitions, either after you get your files, or after at least trying to get your files.

Testdisk (for Windows)
    Testdisk Boot Floppy Image
    Testdisk on Live CD

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

The Easeus Partition Manager boot CD is not available in the free edition. It also cannot be used in Ubuntu.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you do not wish to purchase Easeus Partition Master in order to be able to make the bootable disk, Testdisk and its bootable CD are free.

10. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

ok, so i tried bootmed, but it's a ubuntu remix so same as before I can't see the drive,
    now trying parted magic, i tried running testdisk and it says no "harddisk found"
    double clicking the disk health icon on the desktop, i can see the drive, but it says unknown model and i can't do anything with it, right clicking to bring up menu, i have the option of view details and re-read data, both come up with "cannot retrive smart data; device open failed, or device did not return an identify device structure"

Now what?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!