1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by db1616, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. db1616

db1616 Thread Starter

Fellow Nerds, Geeks, Friends and Countrymen:

OK I admit it -- I am an MCP with at least ten years experience and I can't fix this one!!!

I currently boot from the C: drive, but my OS (XP Pro) is on the D: Drive. THere is a dual boot question at the beginning; I used to have 2000 Pro on the C: Drive, it went kablooey so I installed XP Pro on the D: Drive.

I have a brand new 120GB HD. I want to take the C: Drive out and replace it with the new one, but it always says something is missing when I do this.
    The config is correct -- master/slave position on the cable and jumpers exactly the same. I am down to 'missing or corrupt \windows\system32\cofig\system'. But that is not the question.

The question is HOW TO BOOT FROM THE OLD D: DRIVE IN MASTER AND REPLACE THE C:DRIVE WITH THE NEW HARD DRIVE?

I DON'T want to re-build this D: Drive. It is set up just the way I like it (well, the most important thing is I am up to level thirty on Astropop and don't want to re-install!!) That is kind of a joke and kind of not.

Well, thank you gurus and Einsteins in advance. Free donuts to anyone who successfully meets this challenge.

Feel free to e-mail me directly on this one. I'll take the flood.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Try this first:

Remove C:\
    Set D:\ to the Master
    Boot with a DOS boot disk and try fixing the MBR.

Your D:\ drive most likely does not have a MBR. You need that to boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice