1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrCrim, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

I've been having boot trouble from my pc for quite awhile now, after checking through many different tech threads, trial and error, etc. We determined it was probably the motherboard or the power supply. I replaced the power supply, no go. I needed a new one anyway so left it in. I replaced the motherboard, now I'm running an Abit NF7-S and its still not booting, no beep code, no display, nothing. I swapped out the ram to do a test, no improvement, current ram is mushkin. The only thing I haven't replaced is the CPU because I'm trying to avoid dropping that much cash. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem without replacing the CPU?

Current Setup
    Abit NF7-S Nforce2 Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    Mushkin DDR 400 Ram 2 sticks of 512
    Nvidia Gforce FX 5600
    Soundblaster Audigy 2
    Samsung DVD/CD-RW drive
    200 Gig Matrox IDE Hard drive

2. killah

killah

I would check all cables and connections..doublecheck everything, make sure its all seated well.

If that dosent work, I would remove everything except CPU/Ram/Video card, see if you at least get a screen up. If you do, add everything back, 1 piece at a time, to figure out where the problem was coming from.
    Only way I know how to troubleshoot MB/CPU/Ram issues without having spares :(

3. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

I've been trying pretty hard, went through that alreay and its a no go, the part that bugs me is that I don't even get a beep code, I'm ok with no display, that I can fix, but no beep code means we're not getting that far or the BIOS doesn't see anything wrong, and seeing as I just switched motherboards....

4. killah

killah

yah, thats not good....you reset the bios already also?

5. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

6. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

When you turn the power on, does the power LED come on at all?

7. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

No, it doesn't but the Jumper is connected, I thought that a bit odd myself

8. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

Paladin, did you know something about that?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well there's a slim chance that this is a new problem but myabe its still the original problem.

When you tried only the CPU/RAM/video, did you pull the motherbaord out of the case? Thats what I'd do just to make sure the new mobo is not shorting on the case or something. Set the motherboard on the motherboard box. Connect only the CPU with Heatsink/fan, one stick of RAM, video card, powersupply. Don't connect any drives at all. DOn't connect any external devices(not even a keyboard), don't install any PCI cards.

Then check all the jumpers, check the CMOS jumper - if its in the clear position it won't turn. Also check any FSB jumpers. There may be one to set to FSB from manual to Auto.

To turn the motherboard on, use a screwdriver to short the two power pins on the motherbaord for a second. This will rule out a broken switch or LED.

If it still doesn't start then its likely a bad CPU. But you may want to test some of your components in another system to make sure its not multiple parts that have died.

10. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

Well, I tried those, no go, I've replaced the CPU now and it boots with any hardware connected except hard drive now so I think mostl likely it was CPU and hard drive, I'm hooking the HD up to my roomates box as a slave to run some diagnostics on it, see if it will run and all.

11. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

Ok, long story short, I've replaced the CPU and it boots now, however, now the system (I'm going to say randomly because I can't identify the cause yet). loses monitor signal and dies. Originally this seemed to be tied to updating drivers, but at home, where I am not right now, my wife was typing an email and it cut off in the middle of that. Sometimes it won't come back on after this without a forced boot. Any ideas what would be causing it?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Heat or faulty parts, whatever it is its hardware. Possibly the video card.

13. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

I thought about heat but last night she played City of Heroes for 4 hours with no crash

14. MrCrim

MrCrim Thread Starter

ok, so I changed some bios settings and the computer is all and all running fine, but now instead of just cutting off as before now it completely cuts off and gives a beep code, the beep code according to the motherboard/BIOS is for improper voltage, I've confirmed however my power supply is set correctly. I know its going to be fault hardware but I'm trying to decide if its the power supply or the mobo, any ideas?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Isn't the video card still the original? Might be the problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice