1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by liquidmillsap, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liquidmillsap

liquidmillsap Thread Starter

Okay, I have a friend who built a computer, its about 4 years old, winxp. He called me yesterday to ask a question about his comp and I figured before I drove to look at it I would see if anyone had any advice. Recently he had a power outage and upon rebooting was presented with a boot failure inserst disk etc. So, he bought a new harddrive (250 gigs) to replace the 60 gig hd. Again, he is getting the boot failure. I've been reading over the internet lots of posts about boot disks, winxp recovery console, etc. However, the fact that he is getting the error on two different hds, one that is brandnew, makes me wonder if it something unrelated to the boot files etc. If anyone has ANY ideas at all I would really appreciate hearing them. Thanks A lot!

2. BarefootJ

BarefootJ

Lemme gets some things straight.
    Has your friend installed XP on the new drive via XP CD? or does it fail to let you install XP?
    Is this a Sata or pata(IDE) drive?

3. liquidmillsap

It is an IDE drive. Yes he installed XP from the CD and at the end of the installation it returned him to the boot failure screen again. So I'm assuming (wasn't actually there) that the installation completed and it was restarting to boot up to XP for the first time and failed.

4. BarefootJ

BarefootJ

Hmmm... if we could verify that happened exactly as you said this would be strange indeed. If XP was able to boot to CD and copy all the files over, then your hardware seems to be working properly.

I was thinking the cdrom did not copy any files pointing to a bad IDE slot, cable, or mobo.
    So we are sure the jumpers are set correctly? The BIOS is configured to boot from the HD?

Try Removing the CMOS Battery and putting it back in. (warning this will reset any BIOS settings to default)

5. liquidmillsap

Yeah I know thats strange, thats why I thought I would look for some outside help. It might have happened differently than I was told, this guy isn't exactly a pc guru. I'm heading over to check it out this weekend hopefully, so I will check out some of that stuff and try removing the battery/verify details. So I will get back with an update. Thanks a lot for your help so far.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The power outage could have affected the power supply. I would take a spare powersupply with me and sub it for the one in the computer.

7. liquidmillsap

cool thanks, I think I can scrounge one up and give it a try. I'll let you know if that does the trick.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice