1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aaron157, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aaron157

aaron157 Thread Starter

Ok so I have this computer and one day I go to turn it on and it doesn't come boot up even though it has power to it. So I go through my diagnostic routine and decide it is the motherboard, so I bought a new intel motherboard instead of the 3rd party one I had before and I got everything plugged in and it still won't boot up. It powers on like normal but I get just a black screen, I know it isnt the video card because the board also has on board video and it is the same case in both places. Could it be the CPU or the Power Supply? Also I might add that I can't even get the cpu to recognize the bios literally nothing happens when I turn it on except the lights and fans turn on.
    Should I but a new power supply and cpu?
    Please help I am stumped.

Pentium D 925 Presler
    Intel Board D865Gsa
    PC3200 Ram
    EVGA AGP 6200 Video
    Case supplied power supply

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Edit: I misread that...

Do an out of case build:

Power supply, Motherboard/CPU with fan+heat sink, one stick of RAM, and video card.

Set the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, hook up the PSU, keyboard, mouse and monitor. Turn on the monitor and wait a minute, and then power up by jumping the switch pins on mobo.

If you get a display, one of the other components is your problem, or the board grounding on the case.

3. aaron157

aaron157 Thread Starter

i understand that but thats not the problem, windows can't even tell there is a new board because the bios won't load, lights come one and nothing else happens!

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

I edited, check it again...

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the computer will not even come up to the BIOS screen you will not be able to do a Repair install. Besides, in a case where you have replaced the motherboard because it was doing the same thing that the new is doing now means that you probably do not have a bad Motherboard. It sounds more like a power supply problem. Just because some lights and fans come on doesnt mean that the power supply is capable of running the system. If you can put your hands on a known operational power supply of the right ratings to run your system, I would try swapping the power supply to see if it will start up with a new power supply. You cold also try by disconnecting everything except the Mobo, one stick of Ram CPU and HSF, and Video. See if it will boot to the bios screen in this minimal setup. If it does, ad one component at a time to find out which is causing the system to fail to boot. It could also be that your power supply may just not work with the load it is under from your system. If you have a power supply that has too low ratings as far as wattage or Amperage on the 12v rails it could also not boot. You need a quality Power Supply rated to handle your system. Brands such as Antec, Sparkle, Enermax, Fortron, Thermal take are amoung quality brands.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you encounter only lights and fans, the first place to go is power supply. ZIf you get that much action it most likely is not the cpu.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice