1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fragglemoo, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fragglemoo

fragglemoo Thread Starter

I have a 6 month old pc that has suddenly developed problems booting. It runs the memory check then stops on "wait". There is only one beep. I then went into the bios and did an auto search on the hDD/CD drives (I have 2 hdd and 1 cd drive and a cd re-writer), the bios couldn't recognise these. I've checked all the cables etc. Any idea's of where to go next.

PC chips 810lmr board
    Athlon t/b 1000 chip
    256mb pc133 memory
    4.2gb hdd
    2.1gb hdd
    16x cd rom
    CD-RW

Running Windows 98se.

Thanks

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi fragglemoo

I would try removing the IDE cables and seeing if you can boot to a floppy boot disk. If so try adding back one IDE device at a time. You might want to remove any extra cards (like sound and network) until you can get the system to see the hard drive again.

3. fragglemoo

Hi

i've just re-set the BIOS, changed the IDE cables and removed the CD drives, the pc boots and both hdd are there. I've tried the cd-drive in another pc and its dead - so its been put in the bin. The re-writer works fine in another pc but when its put back in my pc I go back to square one. I've swapped hdd/cd's about and re-set the bios to take this in to account. But I can only get the HDD worknig without the rewriter. arghhhhh:confused:

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

I don't know your set up but most R/W drivers like to be a master on the secondary IDE channel. When you were moving stuff around was the seconday channel able to detect anything?

5. Hamill

Hamill

Hi,
    As lurker1 said you should have your cdrw set as master on the second ide port of your mb. Your primary ide port should have both your hard drives on it sharing a cable. You main hard drive should be set to master and the second one should be set to slave.
    Once that is verified I would do an auto detect from bios and then reboot.
    Good luck,
    Hamill

6. fragglemoo

Hi

Managed to get it working but as secondary slave. Thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice