Boot Problems...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ScottDesomer

Hey guys sorry for the 1st post but really need some help.
my desktop is a dell dimension 8300 and and i just bought a ASUS RADEON 9800XT graphics card to play a new game, warhammer online.

i installed it and booted my computer, all was good. installed the latest drivers which i downloaded from the ATI website and then it asked me to restart my computer, so i did. after that when i boot my computer it keeps taking me to the screen which says that i have a new hardware or software problem and gives me a list of boot options like "Safe mode" "Safe networking mode" " Safe Commandpromt mode" "Last setting which it worked" and "Start windows normally". if i chose safe mode then it goes to the loading screen and then takes me back to the same list. same with all the options on the list, i then tried to boot from CD and format my computer but it takes me back to the same problem.

i re installed my old graphics card and restarted, same problem.

im really stuck guys i really need some professional help

thanks

crjdriver

I checked the specs on that system and it comes with either a 250W or a 305W pw supply. In no way is that enough to run that card. This is a very common problem when someone attempts to upgrade a store bought system.

Here is what I would do to attempt to fix the problem.
1 With the system shutdown, pull your new video card and install the old one.
2 With the case still open, clear cmos with the clear jumper [read your manual for the location of the jumper]
3 Replace the jumper to the keep position and attempt to pw ON the system. Hit the F8 key to bring up the windows boot menu. Select safe mode.
4 Now uninstall any driver you loaded.
5 Download and install the correct driver for your video card.

ScottDesomer

Thanks for the help but i followed what you said and i looked on http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/techov.htm#1102196

and couldn't find a clear jumper or anything so i just removed the cmos and waited 10 mins and re installed it and pressed F8 and set it to safe mode but its still doing the same thing. and i put the old card back, but as i was pushing it back in something fell off.... im raging now :p

i didnt uninstall the old drivers, no.

can i get a new power supply for the card? what W should i get if so? and would a new power supply fix the problem at the same time?

thanks

crjdriver

OK, what "fell off"

Next dell sometimes uses what is known as a proprietary power supply. You cannot just install any atx pw supply and have it work. To find out if your system has this, contact dell.

The Dimension 8300 uses a standard 20 pin ATX power supply pinout. The board is a manufacturer proprietary board built on an Intel D875PBZ frame. Look for the BIOS reset jumper on the lower right hand side of the board when looking straight down on the board. It MAY be marked as J7J2 but being a proprietary board the number marking MAY be different.

The normal run configuration would be with the jumper on pins 1 & 2. The recovery position would be with the jumper removed, however for recovery you would need a recovery BIOS on a floppy disk if Dell has a recovery BIOS available.

You may need to try to get into BIOS configure mode by unplugging the machine from its source of power, move the jumper to pins 2 & 3, repower the machine, and see if BIOS will display the maintenance menu. The video configuration sub menu is located under the Advanced menu.

Were you previously using an AGP card or a PCI Card?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online