1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by josswallace, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. josswallace

josswallace Thread Starter

A few weeks ago I installed a 500gb external hard drive and had trouble booting until I went into set up and changed the boot order and in fact put usb drives to the bottom of the list. This has worked satisfactorily for a few weeks but has suddenly gone wrong again. When I boot now with the usb hard drive switched on, the system freezes with a message "disk error hit ctrl alt delete to start". The system will not restart until I switch the usb drive off.

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

2. theriddler

theriddler

I think the computer is tyring to boot of the external hardrive and since it doesn't have a OS, nothing will happen.
    Double check the booting order

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could run fixboot and fixmbr from tyhe Recovery Console. Make sure that you run them on the XP partition. Check with diskpart to make sure that the XP partition is active, or use Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image). Boot it up, start the partition editor on the desktop, and right-click the XP partition. Make sure that the "boot" flag is set (the equivalent of making the partition "active" in Windows). If your other partition is active, turn off the flag on that partition so the machine will not even attempt to boot from that drive.

Make sure the BIOS settings are correct.

4. josswallace

josswallace Thread Starter

I am afraid most of that is above my head. I have rechecked the boot order in set up and 6 items are present and in this order:- CD1, CD2, Floppy,HD1, HD2, Network. No USB device is mentioned in the boot order section yet my system will still not boot with the external hard drive switched on. Am I miss ing something simple or is this a problem with WIN xP Pro. I am currently riunning with service pack 3 installed.

Any help appreciated.

5. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,try hd1 as 1st boot,if not work try hd 2

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice