1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot repair...

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by TRS-80 vet, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

Can't boot anything. Vista pre-install, ubuntu-attempted-install afterward. Now nothing. Ubuntu didn't load right; vista don't boot.

I need I think, to manually edit boot record.

Does anybody know how this is done? Or what I should look for? Point me in the right direction? Anything?

Thanks

2. saikee

saikee

Why don't you get hold of a selected Linux Live CD and use it to boot up your Vista first?

If you need Vista up in a hurry look up Task B7 of the last link in my signature on how to use Vista installation CD to rescue Vista MBR. That should fire up your Vista, using the MS method.

Once one system is up we can show you how to get the other up as well. It is a child play if you have not inflicted permanent damage to your systems..

You can repair Ubuntu using just the installation CD.

3. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

Got Ubuntu live CD in the optical drive now. No load.

EDIT: I'm tryin' to reload again (for the twelvetyfortyeth time). Seems to be loading............

re-EDIT: load stopped. I saw a 'locked/write' message very briefly...

???

4. saikee

saikee

Press ctrl+alt+backspace to see if you got a terminal.

If you do the you should reboot using the 2nd booting choice forcing the kernel to adopt the vesa driver, as the video driver selected by the installer doesn't match your graphic card.

5. RobLinux

RobLinux

After I installed Linux on 2nd disk, I had to use the Vista Boot Disk to repair it's installation.

The problem is, that it gets 1 error, like invalid boot partion, and Vista refuses to cooperate.

Unfortunately the BIOS doesn't seem to like altering drive priority to my Linux drive with GRUB, so at present I'm having to select a boot menu by hitting a key during startup.

When Vista borks, the whole boot process is 'silent' so there's no info on what is going on. This may be why you're getting no feedback from system.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice