1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynasty091, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dynasty091

dynasty091 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a packard bell imedia 1517 which was using Windows 7 operating system. I was formatting the pc to get a clean install, however when the formatting required a restart my pc wouldn't go past the boot screen. I tried turning it off, unplugging it/plugging back in, using Windows XP cd, diag-cd however it wouldn't go any further than the boot screen.

When I press F8 to boot cd, I can hear the usual sounds the comptuer makes however nothing happens. When I try to go into bios, no sound is made and nothing happens.

What could be the problem?

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

What were you trying to do in the first place? Just so we have a clear picture. What was the problem/issue for the format?

3. dynasty091

I was formatting Windows 7 for a clean install. It got to the step where it had to restart, now it won't even go past the boot screen.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

But, why did we need the clean install? Did the system come preinstalled with Windows 7?

5. dynasty091

Clean install because the process of removing everything was too long. No, it was originally on XP.

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

Ok, so, you were doing an upgrade to 7 or you have the full install Windows 7?

7. dynasty091

I already had windows 7 but I wanted to format for a clean install

8. Bernardo

Bernardo

*sigh*

You bought it with XP and upgraded to 7????? With an upgrade disk? and now you want to clean install with what??? An upgrade disk or a full install disk?????

You're not making it easy to help you.................

9. dynasty091

The pc came with Windows XP back in 2005. I formatted XP using Windows 7 (clean install0. I had too many things I wanted to delete on Windows 7 so I decided to format it but during the process, it restarted and won't go past the boot screen

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

That's a pretty old PC to be running 7. Did you have it up and running with 7 without any issues?

11. dynasty091

No, it was fine. The process is AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 250GB HDD and 2.5 GB ram

12. Bernardo

Bernardo

Ok, so if you have a full Windows 7 disk, just try it again.

If it still doesn't do anything, then try to access the bios setup. You should be able to get there regardless of a disk in the drive or not.

13. dynasty091

I have tried it again, nothing works. not even the diag cd

14. Bernardo

Bernardo

So you can't even reach the bios setup?

15. dynasty091

Nope, won't let me do anything

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice