1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Sector Virus on Dual Boot System

Discussion in 'General Security' started by masica, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masica

masica Thread Starter

I run a home-built dual boot system. Specs:
    W2K Pro + all service packs current. Win XP Pro + SP 3. Intel P 4 2.4Ghz, ASUS P4B266-C mobo, 80GB HDD, 2GB DDR RAM.
    On the W2K Pro partition, I have Avast AntiVirus installed with all signatures current. On the XP Pro partition, I have AVG with all signatures current. I also run Spybot S & D. I run FireFox on both partitions.
    Iwas on the XP Pro system today and was booted off FireFox and my system rebooted. During a reboot, I always get the option to either boot to W2K Pro or WXP Pro. At that screen, I get a warning that I have a boot sector virus on my hard drive. I am advised to put a clean floppy in and reboot and asked if I want to continue.

Long story short, I was able to get past the prompts and boot up to W2K Pro. I ran my Avast AV and came up clean. I also ran SpyBot and came up clean. I was able to get back to the XP Pro partition and ran an AV scan a it found a couple things:

MsUpdate.exe and Trojan Horse downloader.generic7.AOVP

It also changed/cleaned up:

G:\WINXP\system32\kernal32.dll
    \wsock32.dll
    \user32.dll
    \shell32.dll
    \ntoskrnl.exe

The PC seems to work fine except for the 'boot sector virus' warning and prompts when I boot. I'm a bit reluctant to shut down at this point. Any ideas how to proceed?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice