1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot sector virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Stupidlesson, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stupidlesson

Stupidlesson Thread Starter

Alrighty, so I have a huge issue here that I'm hoping I can get advice or help with. From the sounds of things, my friend's laptop may possibly have a boot sector virus. I'll go through all the things I've done and what has happened in result:
    When I first started looking at the laptop (which is an hp g71 340us notebook) I tried doing a system restore which didn't work. Any times that I had chosen were no good. I then decided to try doing a factory system restore. It would get to about 23% and stop saying that it couldn't complete its task. Next I thought I would try to downgrade him from windows 7 to XP. I would have the computer boot from the CD. It would go through its setup then stop and blue screen me. I have tried doing a few scans and nothing comes up, via going to the menu by hitting escape. Before hand, way before it stopped actually going to the login screen, I had run AVG, and it found a total of 36 trojans, which I can't really believe to be true. However it was saying there was trojans in system32, in AVG itself and various other programs on the C drive. I was told by a few friends of mine that I should just get a new hard drive for the laptop, but, I would like to see if I can fix it first. So, is there anyone one can give a step by step procedure on how to get rid of a possible boot sector virus? And sorry. I'm new here, and I wasn't sure where to put this. But any help would be awesome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice