1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot sector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ipatriot, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipatriot

ipatriot Thread Starter

Hi,

my computer recently crashed on me , for no reason that i know off, so i ended up turning it off from the power switch and rebooting to find that when it started it it said that no boot sector could be found on the harddrive, cdrom and floppy :mad:

So after a bit i pulled out the harddrive and checked the leads etc all fine so i put back on and still got the same problem. so next i took out some other bits like unplugged cd rom, sound card ,tv card and tryed it and i manged to start safe mode abit but then it froze, so then i restarted and suddly it loaded normaly and now i have my computer booted back into windows.

But i dont want to turn it off incase it dont start back up again :) whilst its up does anyone know any programs or anything that i could run to check it??

Also do u think it had something to do with some of the hardware i taken out ??

Any help or ideas would be great ! ipatriot

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

It is quite possible that your master boot record is messed up. You did not say which operating system, so I am assuming XP. If you have XP and wish to take a chance of shutting down, here is how you can repair the MBR if that is what your problem is:

This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up. Here is a possible remedy:

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the "Welcome to setup" message, press the letter R.
    You will then get a DOS prompt.
    Then type: chkdsk /p [enter]
    When that is done type: fixboot [enter]
    Type: Y at the next prompt [enter]
    Then type: exit [enter]
    The system will now reboot into Windows.

If for some reason that didn't work, you can boot to the recovery console (example above).
    Type: "chkdsk /r" [enter]
    When done type: exit [enter].
    This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

3. ipatriot

ipatriot Thread Starter

Thanks m8 it seems to of done the trick, fingers cross.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice