1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot to disk?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi all!

I've just--among us things--installed 20GBs HDD on my Win95 IBM Apativa. I have a Max Blaster diskette thgat says to shout down the system, put the diskette in, and boot to disk. I have been, thus far,
    unsuccessful booting to disk. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Xico :D

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi xico, what is happening? Is your boot order set to boot to floppy first? I've never had any problems with the Maxtor setup disks....they pretty much walk you thru the whole setup.

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Candy!

Yes, the boot order is set to floppy first. I don't think it's the Maxtor. It's me! :D What am I not doing? Thanks for any help.:D

4. ~Candy~

Are you getting a disk error message of some sort? Or is it just not reading at all? Perhaps on your older system, you'd be better off downloading an older version of their software.

5. ~Candy~

As an added thought, I just dug out an older version I have on floppy, so I can zip it and email it if you need it. I know I've seen some download sites for it, but laziness has set in tonight :)

6. xico

xico Thread Starter

It says, Cannot load Dos. Press any key to retry.

7. ~Candy~

Is that the floppy that came with the drive?

If so, try this, just boot to a c: prompt, then change to the a: prompt, then type dir and press enter.......I can't remember the executable file name, but try it that way.

8. xico

xico Thread Starter

I don't believe I got a floppy with this drive. I got the floppy from the Hard Drive I installed on this 98se. Actually, I didn't install it. The guy that put it together for me happened to come over when I was out of town and installed it for me. He's a buddy of my son's. I really wanted to install it so I'd know what I was doing, but I couldn't very well look a gift horse in the mouth. :D I thanked him, and I was thankful, but I think the 98 would have been easier cos it was newer. But I'll follow instructions and see what happens. Thanks, Candy.:D :D

9. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hmmmm. Well, Candy, I followed your instructions and I got to where I was supposed to be, but the software, Max Blast Plus wouldn't recognize the Maxtor Hard Drive as a Maxtor. Do I have a counterfit?
    Hardly, tho anything is possible. Do I have the wrong software? Probably, but it's kind of weird that it wouldn't recognize the HDD as a Maxtor--and then, of course, wouldn't go any further. :D

Aside from going out and getting another HDD, are there any other programs that'll run this Hard Drive. BTW there's room, at least in the BIOS for a third and fourth hard drive. ;)

Thanks for helping me. It's much appreciated, Candy. Thank you.:D :D

10. ~Candy~

That is indeed strange as I've used Maxtor's software on other hard drives too. Let me zip the version I have and email it to you.

Email me your address again as I've changed hard drives too and don't want to reboot to the other one to search it out :D

BTW, On the top of the drive, is there a model number?

Also, I just re-read your post and the MaxBlast Plus may not work on the older drive. It seems that I have experienced that problem before with much smaller drives though.

The version I have in front of me now is Max-Blast EZ-Max Version 9.04M. That should definitely work for you.

11. freddie

freddie

XICO..... Try this it tells you everything about your computer and tells you where to download software for it and it is free http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

12. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thank you, Freddie! Im goin there now. Thanks.:D :D

13. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Candy!
    Thank you for the copy of EZ Drive, but that couldn't find the hard drive.
    Thus far, no luck on the hard drive. I picked up a copy of MaxBlast 3, but that didn't seem to do the job either--however, I just downloaded a copy of registry repair, and after I unzipped it a program called Registry Run notified me that I had a trojan ST5UNST.EXE--which might be the source of all these problems--and which might have been the reason whoever owned the Beast got rid of it. Or could Registry Repair have carried the trojan? I don't think so. Of course anything is possible. Or is Reg Run mistaken? I haven't deleted it yet. What do you think?

14. ~Candy~

15. ~Candy~

You've got both drives installed right?

Can you download hijack this and run it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice