1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot to Missing Floppy Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by greyhorne, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greyhorne

greyhorne Thread Starter

I'm trying to repair my XP which is booting repeatedly from the flash screen, in doing so,
    I attempted to boot from floppies, but in selecting the boot device, I'm not finding the Floppy drive.
    I see my hard drive with the OS and my CD drive, and (Removable Dev.)
    Beneath are arrows apparently pointing to other devices with options to "press enter"

I assume its some kind of menu, but have no idea how to access my floppy drive.

Would highly appreciate any help offered.

Thanks!

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    I don't think XP boots from floppies...Do you have a CD?

3. vicks

vicks

Welcome to TSG forums!
    Do you have a set of recovery cd's?
    I know MS has a download option to make a set of (I think 6) floppies. However, I put it all on a cd sometime ago.
    Have you tried booting into safe mode? (after turning power on, gently repeatedly tap the F8 key) this should open the safe mode. If it does you can use the arrow keys to move up to the "last known good configuration" option then click the enter key., Let the computer do it's thing.
    If this works, I suggest you immediately update and run your anti-virus, and anti spyware programs. I would also suggest that you click on my computer> right click on the c drive select properties. Open the tools tab (2nd one) select the error checking. A box will come up with 2 choices (repair) put check mark in both. When you click okay, it will ask if you want it to run on the next boot up. Choose yes, then restart the computer. This can take anything from a few minutes to a couple + hours. Just be patient.
    Post back and let us know how it goes.
    Vicks

4. greyhorne

greyhorne Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the quick replies!
    Yes, but I believe I need to boot from 6 floppies to access the repair feature.

I have an early edition of XPpro (SP1) and wanted to combine it all after the last install, which together with the sata drives has become a toilsome endeavor to say the least. But having just completed it, I was in no mood to tackle the complexities of slipstreaming, and only managed to make a backup copy of my system drivers.
    I tried both safe mode, and the last working configuration but no dice.
    It actually boots past the splash screen, and flickers momentarily on a blue screen, but too quickly to read before restarting itself.
    It originated on an errant google search that appeared to land on an infectious page, as it suddenly rebooted my machine outright to create this.
    I assumed the next move was a repair. I'm a complete novice regarding the BIOS, and was currently trying to figure out if the onboard floppy controller was enabled, where it is, and if thats whats hiding my floppy drive. If it is an infection, I guess I may be spinning my wheels.

5. vicks

vicks

If you have the restore cds, you should be able to boot with disc 1. You should receive the option to do a repair or reinstall.
    Also, you can get a free boot disc at www.bootdisk.com. A good site to go to for reinstalling;repairing XP is:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    This may be of help to you.
    VIcks

6. vicks

vicks

If you would post the make & model of your computer, it will be of help to us.
    If you think you got infected, you might want to click on report and request a moderator to move your posting to the virus and other malware forum. They are VERY busy and you might have to wait for help there. If you have had no response after 24 hrs, type BUMP and your thread will be move up in the que.
    vicks

7. greyhorne

greyhorne Thread Starter

I wasn't sure it was an infection, as I've never seen one behave like this. There was no apparent install, or noticable trigger of infection. Having just landed on the page, it simply rebooted.
    I'm pursuing this on the chance its not, because if it is, I doubt theres much that can be done if it won't boot.
    I don't have restore discs, mine is a VLK.

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out.

XP PRO SP3
    E7200
    ECS GF7050VT-M
    2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
    320GB Sata WD
    750GB Sata WD
    Antec Neopower 550
    NEC DVD ND3520

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    When you use a recovery disc or a windows xp disc, it would give you an option to use a recovery console (xp disc does)

9. greyhorne

greyhorne Thread Starter

Cool!

I recall once trying to initiate the recovery console, but have never seen, nor used it.
    I'm fed up looking for this floppy, if I can't figure out how to get it in the device list, I'll have to borrow a disc to try to access the console.

Thanks!

Dagnabit! I hope someone can direct me though that DOS malarkey! :eek:

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Random people would message me in MSN or email me for help... I don't work for TSG... i'm just an average joe helping when I can :)

11. vicks

vicks

Everyone here helps as a volunteer. so there can be a limited time we each can devote...
    vicks

12. greyhorne

greyhorne Thread Starter

I believe my attention was preoccupied by "angelize", as I completely missed the part about the "email", an imposition I would never consider, and frankly am surprised occurs often enough, to even warrant the message. Then again, its no secret how desparate some can become when separated from their computer, and why I always keep a redundant system available.

Somehow I assumed you were a mod from the virus forum, too overwhelmed with firefighting to assist at all. :eek:

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yeah I dont venture there... i can't concentrate on that and work. :) I only do games/networking mainly. I still get random emails from people to thank me for putting up a file for the windows sound program... that was done like 3-5 years go... ;D

Anyways, let us know if you are able to get a disc.

14. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Couriant's advice is sound, IMO....(y) And, you'd be amazed at how many remember Angelize...She was special...(y)

15. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Whoops, we cross posted Couriant, oh well...;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice