1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot up blue screenerror:0d:0f2f:00000 316

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rwm, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rwm

rwm Thread Starter

hi there

when i turn on my moms computer it acts like its going to boot up then goes to a blue screen and has this message an error has occurred to continue press enter to return to windows or ctrl alt del to restart your computer error:0d:0f2f:00000316 press any key to continue
    if i press enter the screen goes dark except for a cursor for a min then just dark, if i press any key it goes back to the blue screen with same message, and ctrl alt del reboots in safe mode, which tells me to use system restore, which then only gives me three dates to restore from july 10 11 12 of 2002. and then the restore doesnt work. my mothers computer is a gateway with a celeron processor 500 mhz 10 gig hard drive 64 mb ram and she is running win me if any one can help me help her i would be greatful thanks so much

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome....... ;)

I tried replying earlier but the internet isn't working in my favor today.

In safe mode, go to the start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok.....go to the startup tab and leave only checks the load power profiles, systray and the ME version of scanregistry, I think it is different, but for the life of me can't remember what it's called....and I didn't want to ignore you.......

Ah, found it, Statemgr.......leave that checked too.

3. rwm

rwm Thread Starter

hey candy I tried what you said left the power profiles systray and scanregistry and rebooted. but it boots up to about the same place then the blue screen pops up with the same message but a differnt code now the new code is error:0d:119f:00000 316

It had scanregistery not statemgr but this version of win me is a win 98 update that may have something to do with it.

basically I am in the same place with a differnt code # but I do appreciate your efforts very much

thank you

4. ~Candy~

Ok, just to be clear.....Windows ME and Windows 98 are different....if you right click on my computer, properties, it should say what you are running......but if you have scanreg and not statemgr, you surely are running 98.

Can you do this next?

Start button, run, then type msconfig...on the main page, uncheck the process autoexec.bat and config.sys files......then restart.

5. rwm

rwm Thread Starter

ok first i right clicked on my computer then properties and it said microsoft windows me

then i went to run, msconfig,and am brought to the main page under the general tab. what i see here is:

start up selection

[ ] normal start up- load all device drivers
    [ ] diagnostic startup interactively load device drivers and software
    [X] selective start up

[X] process system ini file
    [x] processwin. ini file
    [x] load static vxds
    [x] load start up group items
    [x ] load enviroment variables

then i looked through the rest of the tabs and could not see anything about the process auto exec.bat or the config.sys files. so i didn't do anything and wont untill i hear from you. thanks for your patience

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

rwm, you say "system restore" failed to work -- meaning you never were able to complete the restore.... or it just didn't fix the problem?

In any case, here's another option. Boot up again in Safe Mode, and go to start>Run. Enter: scanreg /restore

You should be prompted to reboot and you will be given a selection of registries to restore. Choose one just prior to the problem. Make sure the one you choose is not dated too far back. If scanregistry was previously unchecked or not present in msconfig > startups, you may not have any reasonably current registries.

7. rwm

rwm Thread Starter

rollin rog i tried what you said but it said it could not find it and said to try searh to find it which i tried and that told me there are no scanreg/restore files,folders perhaps i should just reformat the drive or something, but then i dont know how to do that either thanks for your input

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The command may not work if you enter it like this: scanreg/restore -- that is why you may get a file not found message.

You must do it as: scanreg /restore

with a space after scanreg

Try it like that and please copy out exactly any error messages you receive.

You may also want to try it as

scanregw /restore

9. rwm

rwm Thread Starter

ok tried it with the space and it ran, then it gave me 6 dates to restore to, since i dont exactly know when my mother started having problems i went to the earlyist date there which was 01\09\03. then it tried to reboot with this blue screen message:

An error has occurred, to continue press enter to return to windows, or press ctrl+alt+del to restart your computer, if you do this you lose any unsaved information in all open applications
    Error 0d :0f37 :00000316

press any key to continue.

I tried pressing enter but got the same message also tried any key and got the same message, then tried ctrl+alt+del and it restarted in safe mode

10. ~Candy~

Try the next date, sometimes the oldest one doesn't work well.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You should only see 5 dates there. Never choose the oldest as it gets overwritten during the restore, which is why 4 are only visible in the window.

If you know the last is the only one predating the problem, there is a way to save it, but you must cancel out and ask for help. It's a complex process.

Fortunately, if the system has ONLY been restarting to Safe Mode during this period then the dates listed should stop being updated when the problem began. The backup utility does not run until the bootup process reaches the actual startup programs (which are not loaded in Safe Mode)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice