1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up delay since power supply replaced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pm1941, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pm1941

pm1941 Thread Starter

Anyone heard of this problem? My PC maker replaced the power supply under the warranty. Now boot up hangs for 2+ minutes at the Intel M/B screen, then a black screen for another minute then Windows loads normally. It also operates without any problems once loaded.
    If I unplug my Bluetooth dongle and Maxtor USB external HD boot up is almost as fast as before.
    Is it possible that something fried when the P/S failed? The Bluetooth devices (keyboard/mouse) and the external HD operate normally once the machine is "awake".
    I just had them check the tower for problems and they say nothing is wrong internally.

2. qldit

qldit

G'day PM1941, this kind of problem can be difficult to troubleshoot.
    It is possible something was damaged as you suggest but it is more likely that the machine is searching for devices that are not fitted or that kind of thing.
    That boot time is ridiculous.
    Obtain and load "everest home" and have a look at voltages and temps, but you might also check your processor information, this kind of thing happens when a processor is running at the wrong speed etc.
    If all else fails I have this Puppy Linux "Live" program on CD which is bootable and gives a good idea of whether the problem is hardware or software related. It is a free download and can be very uesful. http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
    Cheers, qldit.

3. pm1941

pm1941 Thread Starter

I already ran Everest...everything Ok. I tried various other things such as BootVis and HDtune, will have a look at that link, thanks.

4. pm1941

pm1941 Thread Starter

It's my Microsoft Bluetooth dongle. Something must be fried in it even though it works once the system is booted. If I remove it the system boots normally.
    Ah well, Ebay, here I come!

5. qldit

qldit

That is interesting, it must be holding the auto-detect somehow but not affecting it once the thing has booted.
    Some of those kinds of problems can be very difficult to "nail". It may be worth trying in another machine but it sounds pretty terminal.
    Cheers, qldit.

6. pm1941

pm1941 Thread Starter

I don't have a spare machine handy to test it out. I'm on the phone to Microsoft Support as we speak...I think they are going to send out another dongle. I was surrprised to find virtually no similar cases on the web, nor could I find a Microsoft Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth 2.0 on Ebay.
    They've had me on hold for ages. I'll let you know what transpires.

7. pm1941

pm1941 Thread Starter

Well after almost going to sleep waiting for them to do something, I'm now getting a new dongle (along with a bluetooth mouse, why not sure) in the mail for free.
    They did mention that perhaps the BIOS should be adjusted to allow booting from USB, I'm not sure how to do that. I can get into BIOS but it's workings are a bit of a mystery to me.
    Another possibility was to alter BIOS to disable legacy drivers, not sure about that one either.

8. qldit

qldit

Yes there are so many different kinds of BIOS these days that you really need to check your manual before you go there.
    Allowing booting from USB is only going to increase boot time while it searches for any bootable material plugged to the USB system, so I don't follow that reasoning if you aren't using that source as a boot. It is possible they suspected there was a possibility that it was set in the boot order and couldn't find boot info, but it would be more likely that the problem would involve the device detection exercise earlier in the boot process in post.
    Legacy items are most likely already disabled, carefully read your manual, to confirm what is needed. If you have onboard sound and video and are using them they naturally would be on, butI would suspect they are already set appropriately.
    I usually try to disable any boot source not required and also disable any searches for devices not fitted in the desired search routine.

It would appear obvious that the dongle has a problem and is stopping the search, probably by some inherent bug in it's firmware somehow causing confusion.
    The BIOS is only a pre-program of limited information as to how the machine might be initialised, but there are a lot of Auto settings and memory settings that can be difficult to understand so avoiding the issue is a good idea until you become more proficient with its operation.
    The simpler boot order is usually set these days to look to the CDROM first before going to the first hard drive so there is no real reason to enter that area.

That is nice of them to send you some new parts, the really good organisations appear to do this lately, you are now a customer for life! (You keep the old one for your trouble)
    Return package and processing expenses have become financial non-sense.
    Well done! (everyone has to have a win occasionally!)
    Cheers, qldit.

9. pm1941

pm1941 Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight. I don't have a manual unfortunately. The PC maker never hands them out. I guess they want you to phone in or bring the tower in to them. It's MDG Canada, quite a well known maker here.
    I was in the BIOS earlier, just looking. I seem to remember that booting order was 1. Floppy, 2. CDRW, 3. Main HD (C). Elsewhere in the BIOS I remember seeing USB booting was enabled, but it wasn't listed in the aforementioned boot order.
    As far as legacy drivers go, they were enabled. Something under that about high speed USB, I'd have to go back in to write down everything.
    If legacy drivers are disabled, what stops working? I have onboard Soundmax audio and ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics, but I also see legacy audio and video drivers in the control panel.
    If I disable legacy drivers is it likely to speed things up any? I just don't want to find that something important no longer works. But I guess I can always go back in and change things back.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/422763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice