1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up fail

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CuttingCrew, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew Thread Starter

Hi All,

I switched my PC on as normal this morning and got a Boot up failed message, tried again a few times, still the same message, left the PC switched off for about 10 to 15 minutes tried again and everything looks back to normal. Running Windows 98SE by the way on a 2600.

Haven't dared to try and boot up again, this is the first time I've had this happen, can anyone advise or enlighten me as to what to do if it happens again?

Regards....Mike

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

When you get the boot up failed message...you mean windows says it was unable to start normally and will now boot into safe mode? Did or have you tried booting into safe mode?Failure to boot can be about a million and one different reasons.If this is the first time this happened ever, have you recently installed a program(anything at all) or modified settings in anything?Have you recently downloaded something?Does the computer fan come on?Where exactly is it failing, at the boot screen? The boot screen phase of windows is where all the drivers get loaded for your devices so it may be a driver problem. Although I'm apparently not much help :) if you can answer some of those questions someone else may know what's going on based on the additional information.

3. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew Thread Starter

Hi Maritimesea,

Thanks for the reply, I was begining to think my post has become invisible. Sorry to have been so vague with the problem but I panicked when it happened and didn't really look what the screen was telling me.

The best I can recall is that I was being asked for the boot CD or something very similar. I do not have any boot CDs or anything that I could think of at the time. Everytime I pressed a key the same message came up, even when I switched of the PC and tried again. It finaly worked after the 10 to 15 minute break I mentioned in my original post.

With regard to downloading or changing settings, I just closed down last night as normal, nothing was dowloaded or changed at all. The PC has worked normally all day after this morning's hiccup. I'm trying to be prepared if it happens again.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Regards....Mike

4. norton850

norton850

Eventually you will have to reboot, although I suppose you could just leave the system on all the time (that's another discussion). Anyway maybe nothing will go wrong, but as Maritimesea points out the exact message is important. So if things go wrong be sure to write it down.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!