1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot up fine then computer loses all power

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dennismac, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dennismac

dennismac Thread Starter

I have some computer knowledge, but I am not good at trouble shooting problems.
    I boot up computer without any problem and I begin to use any program. (I have tried several, so I do not think the programs are causeing my problem.) After about 2 or 3 minutes of using any program right after I boot up the computer, the computer shuts down. The computer does not shut down like a normal compute would. The shut down is similar to someone pulling the CPU's plug out of the wall. All power is loss to the computer.
    I thought the computer was overheating so I removed the cover and used a fan to blow air on the inside of the computer. After about 10 minutes, I pluged the computer back in and it booted properly, but after 2 or 3 minutes the computer shut down again (all power lost).
    I have been downloading software programs for the past 3 days. But I can not run the Norton Anti-virus software that came with the computer because the computer does not stay on long enough for me to try.
    I am working with win 98 on an ibm aptiva 600MHz purchase new in 1998(?)

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

On another computer, of course, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and in the Search box click once and then type, rescue, and press Enter. On the next page you will find a link that says Emergency Rescue Disks. Download the .exe. Double-clicking on the finished download will create a 7 floppy disk set you can use to scan a different computer for Virus, Trojan or Variant to rule out a bad power supply, in your case. You'll need 7 floppies before you run that .exe of course with the write protection disabled. The program formats each floppy as it runs - select Full, not Quick Erase, so you don't need to format them ahead of time usually.

Just create the set, labeling the disks as recommended, then put the first disk in the [A] drive of the target computer and restart. the computer will boot off that first disk and you'll have to type something like, pcscan /p /v, and press Enter. Then you just follow the on-screen instructions.

It does sound like a Power supply but virus will cause these symptoms too.

Reply to this with questions or concerns.

3. walkeriam

walkeriam

You may also have your BIOS set to shut off your computer if the CPU Fan quits working. In this case, I would take the side cover off the PC, run BIOS setup, and if it is set to shut off if fan stops, disable that and watch closely to see if the CPU Fan stops running after you re-boot the PC. If it does, stop running, shut the computer off right away and replace the Fan.

4. dennismac

dennismac Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your help. But, last night when I tried to boot up my computer, to try both of your ideas, I could not even get the computer to turn on.

I am going to assume that the power supply is dead.

For verification, I did plug a lamp into the same outlet to make sure it was not the outlet that was bad and the fan worked fine. I even moved the PC plug to another outlet and it still did not boot up.

So I am going to buy another power supply today.

5. walkeriam

walkeriam

That would be my first thought also. Let us know if that fix it!

6. dennismac

dennismac Thread Starter

Well guys,
    I replaced the power supply and everything seems to be working fine. I did run the PC SCAN and it found 4 viruses. I hope all my problems are solved.

Thanks again for all of your advice. This web site is a great resource and I will tell everyone.

Dennismac

7. walkeriam

walkeriam

Glad you got it fixed! Have a good day!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!