1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up in Safe or VGA mode only.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dabom, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dabom

dabom Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion 794N, windows xp home, sp2 3.06GH Pentium 4, NVIDAA GeForce4 MX440 and hpfl503, 15 “ monitor. I can only boot up in Safe or VGA mode.
    When I attempt to boot up in the normal mode, the windows logo appears then message “PC entering power saving mode” and the screen goes black. It will start up in safemode fine, but when I try to turn up the resolution it black screens again. I have been working on this for days and I am not sure if I should uninstall the display drivers and try rebooting. At one point could not boot to vga mode. Any ideas? thanks

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I would probably have a look at uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers. If it only boots in Safe Mode or VGA mode, and has issues with screen resolution, that is your most likely culprit.

You can download the driver here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice