1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lucky_indian, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lucky_indian

lucky_indian Thread Starter

I have a 1.5 Western Digital TB external hard drive. It recently started powering down after connecting the power supply. So when i connect the power supply (100-240V) 12V output, the led flickers i can hear the hard drive spinning then it will just power down. It works intermittently, it's under warranty so i can get a new one. However i would like to know if there is anything i can do to fix this problem. Most importantly, how can i back up my data, it's nearly full and i have to try many times with holding the cable at awkward angles to get it to work sometimes. The technician ran some sort of the checkup utility and he said the hard drive is fine, he also added that someone has tried to open it. I don't recall doing that cause i know that voids the warranty.

In terms of troubleshooting, i have tried new power adapter, tried it at various locations around the house and on a different computer, still the same results.

So please help me out guys.

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Probably the only way to access the data, if possible, would be to take it apart and remove the drive then connect the drive either internally or into a new enclosure.

This is why backups are so important, then you have another copy of the data and can simply send the drive back. This is also an advantage of self built USB drives, you can take it apart with voiding any warranty.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it looks like it was tampered with, you may not be able to get a new one. If that happens, then you have to take the drive out to get any data (that should have been backed up since external drives in particular are the most likely to fail). Or you could buy yourself a new case - with a switch this time. I have a drive caddy with USB connector that takes all drives, even IDE. It has a switch for off, on, and auto. If auto doesn't work properly, then you can just use the "on" setting.

If the drive has a jack for an external power supply, try that. Also make sure that your USB ports are fully powered by removing other USB devics when you plug it in. I don't know how those drives sense a connection, but possibly by the presence of power and a low powered port may prevent it from turning on.

4. lucky_indian

lucky_indian Thread Starter

I use this for back up since its 1.5TB it stores all the data of my laptop. Only issue is if i open it, it voids the warranty. The
    technician said he will give me a new hard drive. So its not that damaged, so i need to find a way to turn it on then back it up. I could buy another WD enclosure and then just return that one dunno. Are there any other options?
    I can borrow a friends TB and transfer all the data from this drive to his as well. Its just turning the darn thing on that's the pain. From what you guys are telling me i suspect it is the enclosure, the hard drive seems fine.

I tried the no USB devices approach to no avail, sorry no jack for the power supply. Its an AC adapter with plug and play. Maybe the connector to the hard drive inside the enclosure is damaged?

Thanks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If this is a backup of your laptop then you have all the original content still on the laptop, a "backup" is secondary copy of the data - if this is the only copy of the data then its not a backup.

Not sure what you mean by "its an AC Adapter with plug and play"? An AC adapter is a power supply that connects into a wall outlet, and yes they can fail and you can test with another compatible one.

What technician are you referring too? What is the exact model of this USB drive?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice