Boot Up Message -- Secondary IDE no 80 conductor cable installed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

swanny65

Does anyone know what is the significance of this message. i first noticed it at christmas, after i installed a lite-on dvd writer in place of my dvd-rom drive.
the message indicates to me something isnt correctly fitted. however both my drives are working correctly and all connections appear fully engaged. over this weekend the computer has failed to power up correctly, it appears to immediately cease when turned on (dont even get the initial specification details screen.) however this is fixed if the reset button is used. same on reboot to restart - ceases - and then i have to reset.
i am running a 5 year old amd 950mhz on a tyan trinity k7 mb with 512 sdram. this looks like a potential terminal problem am i correct!!!!
any comments appreciated

It means you need to replace your old 40 wire IDE cable with a newer one that has 80 wires. Evidently your new DVD-Writer is looking for the newer grounding requirements of the 80 pin cable.

swanny65

so if i buy a new pc and reinstall the old dvd rom drive the problem should disappear....the 950 althon struggles with editing my dvd software anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online