1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up of new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ed Sailer, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

I went to boot up my newly assembled computer after very carefully hooking everything up correctly and all I get is some very long beeps.
    My mogtherboard is an Abit BD7-Raid with a 1.7gig Pentium CPU.
    The only things I added was a 256 DDR memory board and a Radeon 7500 video board. I thought I would get it up and running before adding anything else.
    Can anyone help?

2. FlaFoci

FlaFoci

Make sure the memory is all the way in, and also the video card.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

From the abit site

Number of beeps

1 DRAM refresh is not working.
    2 Parity circuit is not working or parity status bits are not cleared when parity is disabled.
    3 First 64k memory test failure. Address line test (A0..A15) failure.
    4 System timer is not counting properly.
    5 Processor register/flag test failure.
    6 8042 keyboard controller gate-A20 error.
    7 Processor exception error encountered.
    8 Display memory R/W test failure (NON-FATAL)
    9 ROM-BIOS checksum error.
    10 CMOS Shutdown Register R/W error.

Also be sure that the processor fan is connected to the correct place on the motherboard as the system won't power up if it isn't.

http://www.abit-usa.com/

4. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

I called United Micro since I bought the Abit bd7-Raid motherboard from them as well as the Pentium 4 CPU. They said since I'm getting long intermittent beeps, that my board and CPU are probabley ok but either the DDR memory card or the AGP graphics card are bad. I replaced the AGP Card-no effect. I couldn't find another DDR card. I did reseat them both. When I recontacted them they suggested I buy another DDR card to see if that is the problem.
    Is there any chance that the CPU is bad or not correctly installed. I was real carefull installing the CPU even though it did not exactly drop in, I had to push it just a little bit. Then I held it down with a little bit of pressure when I closed the lever. I am sure I installed everything correctly. Double checked each connection. All the fans are running. I also don't get anything on my monitor and after the beeping I have to shut down the power supply from its own toggle switch since the one on the case enables the power to the computer but it won't shut it off after the beeping.
    I am not computer literate, I am a Mechanical Engineer and I thought this would be a fun learning experiece to buy the better components and build my own computer. Probably a mistake huh? Any way I ordered another DDR card. Do you think this will fix my problem and if it does not should I send United Micro the motherboard and CPU and see if they can get it working?
    I guess you sense I'm getting a little nervous.

5. brianF

brianF

You always get the jitters on the first one, then the second, third, etc.

If the new memory doesn't work then I would return the motherboard and cpu and see what they say.

By the way, it's frustrating, but when it's finally done it's worth it.

I haven't built a p4 yet so I have that experience coming

Also I may have missed it, but make sure the motherboard or another component isn't shorting out to the case, sometimes the screws that hold the motherboard in will, etc.

With the memory prices so low there is some bad memory getting out just because of cost cutting measures, could be it's bad.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice