1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VistaMatt, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VistaMatt

VistaMatt Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm putting old-ish computer hardware pieces together to make a functioning computer to donate, but I've hit a roadblock.

I have a AMD 1 GHZ processor with 512 MB Ram that used to work fine. Then then harddrive crashed and now I'm putting another HDD in to make the computer run again.

Here's my problem: I put in the new harddrive, check the BIOS for proper bootup order (C, A, D), but the computer stops booting up after it checks the memory and then displays a list of "PCI device listing ...". The PCI list shows along with the computer specs (in a box) but never proceeds onward to boot the HDD. I've tried this with 3 different HDDs, including one that had a fresh installation of Windows 2000 on it (that was working perfectly on another computer).

What is hanging me up? Any help appreciated.

2. emoric

emoric

Is the hard drive new? Was it previously used? Have you formatted it? Reinstalled?

I'm just a little unclear. :)

3. VistaMatt

VistaMatt Thread Starter

Of the three HDD i've tried, 2 are unknown (used and from different computers) and I'm trying to boot them so I can reformat and put on Windows 2000. The third is an older HDD, but was recently formatted and a clean Windows 2000 was installed on it. It works perfectly in another computer. But for some reason, none of the three boot. I turn on the computer and it checks the memory, recognizes the HDD (says that it is a Maxtor, etc.), then comes up with "press f10 to change bootstrap..." then passes that and goes to the PCI device listing, lists a bunch of stuff, then proceeds to do nothing. It seems as if there is something simple I am missing, but I've never had this problem before and I've worked on these refurbished, recreated computers before...

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Is there any other hard drives in the computer?

It sounds like a drive select problem with the hard drives.

5. VistaMatt

VistaMatt Thread Starter

Nope - no other drives at the moment. I was initially thinking that it was as simple as two of the drives were just bad, but when I put in the WORKING drive, it does the exact same thing. Could there simply be a problem with the motherboard?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you boot from the 2k CD? The installation of 2000 that was done on another machine may not have the proper drivers installed for that motherboard.

If you can boot from the 2000 CD, you can start setup and reinstall 2000.

7. VistaMatt

VistaMatt Thread Starter

Good call -- I'll try the win2k cd and bootdisks.

Let me get back to you to see if that works.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm assuming that the first 2 drives may not have even had an OS on them.

Good luck.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice